ASE Software Architect
The BAE Systems Advanced Solutions Engineering (ASE) group is looking for a Software Architect to design and guide the development of Internal Research & Development projects, advanced solution prototypes, and new business proposals for programs, CRADs, BAAs, and other projects. The ASE Software Architect will be exposed to and conversant in a wide range of software technologies supporting the BAE Systems Geoint ISR business area, including enterprise content management, mission planning, precision targeting, and other capabilities for a variety of IC and DoD customers.
In this role, the ASE Software Architect will:
- Quickly understand the requirements and needs of a project, which may often be vague and poorly specified.
- Identify potential software technology solutions that could fill those needs. Solutions may come from COTS, GOTS, OSS, research organizations, other projects within the company, or may be internally developed.
- Working with a team, develop candidate architectures to meet project needs. Conduct and lead trade studies and other analyses to determine optimum solutions.
- Lead and guide implementation teams to develop implementations of selected solutions. Mentor more junior engineers to bring them up to speed in technology and implementation skills.
- Document work and results as required. Present outputs and results to a variety of internal and external stakeholders
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field with fifteen years of actual work experience
- U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED. Candidates selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and will need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Experience mentoring and leading development teams of 5-20 engineers with a proven track-record of success.
- Actively exercises the ability to multi-task and delegate effectively
- Ability to make technical decisions and defend them appropriately. Opinionated about the proper solution while remaining flexible and adaptable to the circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to stay aware of developing technologies and trends, and apply those trends to the problem at hand.
- Strong foundation of software development/engineering, including requirements analysis, software development, installation, integration, evaluation, enhancement, maintenance, testing, and problem diagnosis/resolution, as well as architectural and software design patterns
- Proficient in problem solving, thinking analytically, and debugging.
- Team player with a proactive attitude and the ability to be productive in a dynamic/collaborative environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact well within a team.
- Ability to work in areas outside of usual comfort zone and love to learn new technologies.
- The ability to work well in a very dynamic, fast moving environment with high expectations.
- Experience developing code using configuration management and issue tracking systems to track software releases and changes using software development, continuous integration, and automated test tools
- Experience with several of the technology areas listed below under "Preferred skills"
The successful candidate will have experience with multiple technology areas out of the following list:
- Software Development Processes and Tools
- Experience with Agile software development (Kanban, Scrum, SAFe).
- Experience with plan-driven and waterfall development practices.
- Software development and continuous integration tools (JIRA, SVN, GIT, ClearCase, Gradle, Fisheye).
- Automated Test tools: Cucumber, Gherkin, Selenium, Protractor
- Experience with Java, C shell, Perl scripting, XML, Python
- Experience with UML tools such as Enterprise Architect
- Developing cyber secure applications
- Proficiency in software integration and troubleshooting techniques to include system performance awareness and system optimization
- Software Environments and Frameworks
- Java Enterprise Edition 6 or 7 development experience (JAX-RS, EJB, CDI, JPA, JSF, Servlet)
- Processing frameworks : Kafka, Mesosphere DC/OS, micro-services
- Experience with cloud environments (such as Amazon Web Services (AWS)) or Microsoft Azure
- Proficiency in multiple high level programming languages (e.g., C++, Java)
- Experience with geospatial data is a plus
- Enterprise Software Applications
- Experience with RESTful web services, JAX-RS, SOAP-based web services
- XSD, XSLT, XQuery/Xpath
- Familiarity with various web services standards (WS*), to include security standards
- Database tools and design (e.g., Oracle, Postgres, SQL, MongoDB, AllegroGraph, NoSQL, AllegroGraph, RDF, and/or SPARQL)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top