Application Modernization Solution Architect
The Intelligence and Security (I&S) Sector is seeking a Solution Architect (SA) responsible for leading the development of Application Modernization and Cloud enablement opportunities for multiple business areas within the I&S Sector. This position will report directly to the sector Chief Engineer.
The Solution Architect (SA) will serve as the technical subject matter expert (SME) and the engineering design authority (DA) for acquisitions across the Federal Defense, Intel, and Civilian markets. This position will lead technical strategy and drive solution development for large-scale application modernization and cloud enablement opportunities. Working closely with business development, clients, and our diverse engineering and proposal teams, the SA will stay abreast of emerging and evolving software development and cloud capabilities, taking into account client mission needs in developing winning, tailored solutions aligned to price targets and the overall capture strategy for the opportunity. This position will play a key role in identifying capabilities gaps across the sector and recommend actions to increase win rates of profitable business.
This position will also develop technology road maps for future capabilities, fully document the associated solutions including CONOPS, system architecture, models and prototypes, as well as business and user requirements. The role is responsible for ensuring the quality of the solutions delivered meets all internal and external customer expectations and is sufficiently mature to be successfully transitioned into operation.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
Leads, architects, and develops application modernization solutions to include software maintenance, application migration to the cloud, cloud native design, digital enablement of systems, and service delivery approaches to software O&M that increase service quality and lower support costs.
Applies understanding of critical customer program goals to develop winning, best-value, and tailored solutions. Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in development of these solutions as well as leading a matrixed team of specialists.
Mentors and develops technical staff to ensure successful execution and growth of application modernization opportunities. Participates in defining internship tasks, interviewing, hiring, and mentoring internship. Provides informal and formal presentations and whitepapers across the sector. Provides career advice and resources for software development staff.
Specifically, the SA will:
• Conduct architectural analysis of alternatives(AoA) trade studies by applying CAIV, DTC, and Multi-criteria Decision Support and/or other proven methodologies
• Develop proof-of-concept models and pre-production prototypes, and conduct internal and external demonstrations
• Collaborate across BAE Systems to leverage discriminators and leverage existing solutions where applicable
• Develop lifecycle cost models to support architecture and software decision trades
• Develop technical approach and project engineering plans, including tasks, process and critical resources, to turn the solution into a successful proposal
• Collaborating with business development, develop software and capability road maps and tailorable reference architecture for different service models including system integration, sustainment, and operational support
• Communicate solutions with customers, management, and teaming partners, including presentations and white papers.
• Lead the development of proposal technical volumes.
• Serve as a Subject Matter Expert supporting Business Area Chief Engineers within I&S with respect to process improvement, technology initiatives and investment planning in support of annual IBP process
• Serves as an I&S representative on select industry forums and in discussions with industry leading product and technology partners and OEM's
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years' work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor Degree in appropriate discipline (e.g. Engineering, Computer Sciences) and a minimum of 15 years of experience, including 5+ years of IT experience.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and win complex application modernization and cloud enablement opportunities with the Federal Government. Should have led winning proposals with total contract value on individual deals over $75M.
• Experience supporting large-scale proposal efforts, comprising a diverse team of technical and operational specialists, and involving the development of novel or innovative new solutions
• Demonstrated ability to decompose complex system and software requirements into easy to understand solutions with clear value propositions.
• Ability to think strategically and communicate effectively at the most senior levels of government (customer) or corporate management (company) to articulate the understanding of their mission needs and requirements, and to communicate the value and benefit of BAE Systems solutions
• IT specific domain knowledge, including (i) ITIL; (ii) Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; (iii) Enterprise IT infrastructure; and (iv) Cloud native design principles
• Knowledge of system development methodologies including requirement engineering, configuration management, technical baseline management, cost estimating and analysis, and decision support methodologies
• Knowledge and understanding of project management methodologies, including scope, cost and schedule, and resource management
• Experience collaborating across organizations and OEMs, participating in industry forums and conferences, writing and presenting technical papers
Preferred Skills and Education
- Demonstrated experience with programing languages such as Python, Perl, Ruby, .NET, Java, PHP and C++.
- Demonstrated experience with Oracle and MS SQL database design and administration; open source database experience such as Hadoop and Mongo DB.
- Demonstrated understanding of cloud native design and ability to create software architectures that take full advantage of cloud infrastructure and platform solutions.
- Experience developing for Containers and MicroServices.
- Experience with DevOps, Continuous Delivery
- AWS Certified Associate Architect, Developer or SysOps Administrator
- Microsoft Certified System Administrator in Cloud Platform or related certification
- Agile Certification
- SAFe Program Consultant Certification
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That's BAE Systems. That's Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Back to top