AI/ML Sr Principal Scientist
Looking to make a difference developing disruptive technologies? Solving the Defense and Intelligence Communities' hardest problems with innovative software and hardware solutions, BAE Systems FAST Labs is technology's leading-edge destination for thought leaders. FAST Labs, the research arm of BAE Systems' Electronic Systems, is searching for a Senior Principal Scientist (SPS) to develop new artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technologies in the Special Activities Exploitation (SAX) technical area. The SPS will collaborate with chief scientists to lead the design, development, and implementation of state-of-the-art AI/ML algorithms for complex problems, including predictive analytics, sense making, contextual reasoning, activity based intelligence (e.g., anomaly detection, patterns of life, behavior recognition), autonomy, and other areas. The SPS will act as principal investigator on research and development projects involving machine learning for programs within SAX as well as across FAST Labs, develop prototypes that will enable autonomous functionality in BAE Systems products, and interact directly with customers to define new AI/ML research and development programs.
Key skills for this role are:
- Experience with AI/ML technologies and architectures.
- Experience in the design, development, execution, and implementation of research projects involving complex sub-systems.
- Experience interacting with external customers, companies, and academic institutions.
- Record of authoring/co-authoring external publications (conference papers/presentations, journal articles, and books).
- Demonstrated written and oral communication and presentation skills for technical reporting and briefing customers on technical concepts.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
- Track record of research in AI/ML technologies.
- Proficient in software prototype development, problem decomposition, and analysis tools (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Java, etc.).
- Knowledge of AI/ML application areas, including signal processing, predictive analytics, contextual reasoning, activity based intelligence, autonomy, computer vision, natural language processing, and other areas.
- Experience working and collaborating on multi-disciplinary teams, including managing and leading technical teams, and mentoring less experienced scientists.
- Master's degree in a science or engineering discipline with at least 6 years professional research experience.
- Eligible for a Top Secret clearance.
- Experience with modeling and simulation on CPU and/or GPU architectures.
- Familiarity with software engineering concepts, languages, and processes
- Demonstrated record of professional research publications
- PhD degree in a science or engineering discipline
- Active Top Secret/SCI clearance
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top