Advanced Electronics Chief Scientist
As Moore's law nears its end, we are approaching a massively important inflection point in the course of advanced electronics and integrated circuit research and development. This inflection point has spurred a vast amount of funding (both private and public) aimed at dramatically changing how we architect, design and fabricate the next generation of components that are critical to maintaining the DoD's edge on the electrical battlefield. FAST Labs, the research arm of BAE Systems' Electronic Systems Sector, is searching for an Advanced Electronics Chief Scientist to help drive the technical direction for this new research and leverage this opportunity.
The Chief Scientist has impact across the RF/EW and Advanced Electronics Directorate's four product areas: Advanced Electronics, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, RF EW subsystems and Missions Systems . Chief Scientists own a technical portion of a product line's strategic plan and plans, captures, and executes sponsored research programs and guides disruptive technologies into BAE System' Business Areas' products and services. Chief Scientist's enable capture and execution of a technical thrust by being a trusted advisor to our customers and mentoring and working through senior researchers.
The ideal candidate would have a senior level research position in either the US Government or industry with a network of colleagues in the science and technology community. This network would span across the DoD, IC, and academia and include interactions at operational, strategic, and policy levels. Intimate knowledge of DoD and IC missions and their objectives is an essential dimension for this position.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
PhD in Electrical Engineering (with a focus on RF, mixed signal or digital integrated circuit design) plus 15+ years of experience working in advanced research and development
- Past experience with competitive R&D programs funded by agencies such as DARPA, AFRL and ONR
- Track record in winning and executing advanced electronics programs
- Setting and executing long term R&D strategies and allocating budgets towards priority activities
- Strong customer interaction skills and deep network of contacts in industry, academia and government
- Knowledge of electronics trends driving the next decade of competitive research programs
- Past experience with influencing long term advanced electronics trends
- Past participation on standards bodies, industry-level committees, and/or professional societies
- Prior experience with bid and proposal activities ranging from small seedling activities to large production programs
- Exceptional presentation skills
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top