VP of Engineering
To continue with our success and take it to the next level, we need a truly awesome Vice President of Engineering. This role requires an intense passion for technology & scalable architectures, which should come across in everything you do and make you shine as a leader in our organization. The VP Engineering will lead all aspects of technology including development and implementation of front end and back end experiences as well as IT operations and infrastructure. Critical to this role is a proven record of building amazing teams and mentoring our next cohort of leaders. Lastly, understanding how our technology solutions align with the companies’ strategies for growth is paramount.
About the Job:
- Lead strategic technological planning to achieve business goals by driving the evolution of the platform architecture, prioritizing technology initiatives, and ensuring the appropriate level of stability, security, and scalability within our technology ecosystem
- Continually ensure we are executing on technology solutions that support the growth strategies of our business
- Implement engineering best practices that enable your teams to succeed in a highly agile environment and deliver software in a Continuous Delivery fashion
- Build or buy an e-commerce platform that is modular, scalable, high performance and provides a compelling customer experience on multiple devices
- Partner effectively with the product management team in product & feature definition while also enabling them to understand the importance of technical non-functional requirements of the products and platforms. The product roadmaps coming out of your collaboration with the product management team should be jointly owned and reflect the right mix of functional and nonfunctional features
- Coach & mentor our engineers to become good leaders, who can individually drive the technology in their respective areas of responsibility
- Build a great engineering team. You would need to spend significant time on building a great talent acquisition process to hire smart and enterprising engineers
- Build an extensive training program to convert raw engineering talent into senior engineers capable of recommending and delivering the appropriate technological solutions to fit the current business and/or customer need
- Technical acumen and experience necessary to absorb technical details to confidently sign off on architectures of the products and features built by the team
- Track record of implementing engineering best practices, new architectures, Test Automation, modular designs, designing for “roll forward” and “rollback” etc. to be successful in a highly Agile environment.
- Track record of leadership in driving and managing change - showing great communication skills, partnership skills and ability to inspire engineers
- Track record of leading IT operations and infrastructure ensuring a high performance, stable, and secure systems environment
- Experience in implementing and supporting brick and mortar retail systems
- Experience leading teams through implementing, configuring, and customizing backend ERP systems
- Track record of building engineering teams from scratch with deep involvement in hiring process and demonstrated ability to distinguish between moderate and great engineers
- Track record of coaching, mentoring and growing engineers to become leaders and managers
- Track record of successfully leading engineering teams that deliver outstanding external facing and internal facing products within the consumer internet space. Proven experience leading teams through a build vs. buy process with a predefined methodology and decision framework to support this effort
Backcountry is the leading online retailer of premium outdoor gear. Our mission at Backcountry, why we exist, is to connect people to their passions. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate six online specialty stores- Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and WhiskeyMilitia.
Back to top