Backcountry’s Owned Brands division is looking for a technical designer to help support this rapidly growing portion of the overall business. We create new and unique brands and products to offer compelling product to our customers and drive profitability. We are seeking a Technical Designer with experience in men’s and women’s casual apparel (lifestyle/ready-to-wear) fit and construction, who can roll up their sleeves and help execute on the strategic initiatives of the division. Extra points if the Technical Designer also has experience in outdoor/technical garments. This role will report to the Senior Technical Designer, Owned Brands.
About the Job:
- Manage established fit guidelines for several different brands
- Collaborate with Design in initial stages of tech pack development; create full tech packs / BOMs to efficiently communicate with vendors
- Measure and evaluate prototype, pre-production and top of production samples
- Coordinate and conduct on-model fit reviews to ensure products meet brand fit guidelines
- Take clear and detailed notes and photos during fittings; ability to articulate the fit issues to various stakeholders and present solutionsDaily communication with overseas factories on fit issues/inquires
- Correct factory pattern and grading where needed
- Maintains all technical specifications from proto to bulk production approval
- Conducts fittings: measurement, construction and workmanship
- Maintain Sample Tracking Sheet and ensure all samples are sent within a timely manner
- Arrange live model fittings for all brands
- Support Owned Brands team with administrative and production-related tasks
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in apparel or related experience
- 3-5 years of garment industry experience with an emphasis on woven top and bottoms
- Knowledge of pattern making and grading
- Knowledge of garment fit and construction with ability to propose solution
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to various apparel categories and sizes
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, etc.), Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop
- Understanding of manufacturing and production development process
- Team player with ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Detail oriented
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.
Back to top