Sr. Buyer - Ski/Snowboard/Climb/Fly Fishing
Senior Buyers at Backcountry.com are responsible for achieving the financial goals of their Merchandise Division (MD). We empower you to set and implement a purchase plan, which allows us to exceed all financial goals. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy the gear you love, this could be your job!
About the Job:
- Assortment Selection: developing strategic direction for categories, pricing, category/brand mix, and seasonal/core selection of inventory for Merchandising Divisions managed
- Vendor Negotiations: discounts, terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, MDF funds, PO compliance and issues management, image use, price-matching, and special/exclusive buys. Senior Buyer, with the wider team, policies pricing and solicits closeouts. Works with Directors and Planning on long-term vendor planning.
- PO Management: marking catalogs, SKU/PO worksheet creation, Building POs (Qty/Dollar/Style Allocation, Size/Color Breakout), Edit POs, Flash Notes, PO Type (at worksheet creation)
- Promotions: brainstorming/hind-sighting promotion concepts and performance, identifying types of promotions and building calendar with marketing, picking SKUs/links and Rules Pages, reviewing and providing Creative briefs, review, QA and approve functionality, review and react to performance, and identify risks in promotional calendar, build back-ups
- Pricing: Sets Pre-season pricing strategy, sets in-line/in-Season pricing (promo periods, price matching, promotional calendar management), manages end of season price-break dates, communicates all in-season and end of season price breaks to marketing team and is responsible for assignment to the promotional calendar, works with Planning on managing Aged or End of Life Pricing
- Inventory Management: Works with Planning to manage the Open to Buy (OTB), hind sighting SKU/Category performance, establishing Preseason PO Receipt Flow, Preseason inventory allocation, setting in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, moving aged and toxic inventory, closeout inventory, manages Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with Company wide financial goals
- Online Merchandising: oversee the review of color thumbnail displayed on PLP and Search pages, oversees the boosting/sort order for responsible brands/categories, sets up Cross Sell/Up Sells tools, manages Backorders, review and optimizes site taxonomy and facets, and utilized Kit Calculator as required per category
- P&L Responsibility: owns revenue, margin, and inventory (turn, receipt flow, inventory levels, in-stock levels) goals
- Team Management: Coaches, manages, and develops a team of Assistant/Associate Buyer/Buyer(s)
- 5-7 years of relevant Industry Merchandising and Buying experience, including management experience
- Willingness and ability to travel to as needed
- Firm understanding of Retail Math and Fundamentals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a requirement)
- Excellent organizational skills and acute attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize competing tasks/initiatives
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Graphic Designer
Georgia collaborates with Backcountry’s Marketing and Content Teams. She ensures the company’s design is cohesive across all channels, including landing pages, social media, and photoshoots.
Back to top