Sr. Art Director
The Senior Art Director is an opportunity to play a creative leadership role in the fast moving, eCommerce retail space. You will be focused on a sizeable opportunity to grow and establish one of the potentially industry-defining brands, working with the opportunity to further differentiate our more established brands, or define the direction of a new emerging brand. The role sits in our internal creative team that is responsible for the creative direction for our portfolio brands including Backcountry, Steep and Cheap, Competitive Cyclist and our Owned Brand lines. The role presents an opportunity to be at the intersection of brand strategy, creative and art direction and play a true leadership role in defining and delivering on the visual expression of our brand position. You will own the art direction for one or more of these businesses, managing a small team including copy and design, and partner with teams across our media department, brand and UX.
About the Job:
- Develop and oversee design and concepts as a creative leader.
- Own, define and establish creative style guides that complement and contribute to our brand strategy and objectives.
- Be responsible for the effective and consistent visual delivery of these brand standards.
- Be a leading voice in creating unique, differentiated and compelling creative concepts, providing recommendations to the CD, and execution of CD vision.
- Manage a small team (2-4) of copywriters and designers, providing clear goals, direction and feedback.
- Partner with the brand team to deliver a holistic roadmap that integrates brand-centric campaigns with customer expectations of promotional opportunities.
- Act as a champion internally and externally for the brand.
- Elevate design through best in class execution.
- Work with UX design and engineering to partner with and implement vision
- Work closely with other departments within Creative for a collaborative creative execution. (Photo, Media, Production, Traffic)
- B.S., B.A., B.F.A or equivalent with 7+ years related work experience.
- Strong background in graphic design, ideally in the eCommerce space
- Able to articulate ideas clearly through both written and spoken form.
- Able to manage time well under strict deadlines and multiple projects.
- Able to provide feedback well 1:1 and within group situations.
- Previous management experience is not required but preferred.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Interest or passion for the outdoor industry
- Wants to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap, —aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Graphic Designer
Georgia collaborates with Backcountry’s Marketing and Content Teams. She ensures the company’s design is cohesive across all channels, including landing pages, social media, and photoshoots.
Back to top