Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer
Backcountry’s engineers are aggressive about finding new technologies to make systems better, faster, more stable, and more interesting to work on. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and rally others around putting it into production.
SREs at Backcountry play a crucial role in helping facilitate and provide structure to this innovation. We vet technologies for production readiness, provide deployment guidelines and support the operational environments. We strive to do this in a collaborative way with our Engineering counterparts as we work toward migrating the organization to a DevOps culture.
About the Job
- Full stack ownership - databases, web servers, application servers and caching services
- Keep production databases stable and optimized
- Write and review code to provision servers, monitor systems and integrate ops workflows.
- Develop system documentation and capacity plans
- Debug hard problems on production systems - data, hardware, software, application and network
- Monitor system health and capacity and take proactive action to fix problems before they occur
- Participate in an on-call rotation and serve as an escalation contact for incidents
- Collaborate with Development Engineering teams to build, deploy, support build new features
- 5+ Years experience managing and working with production grade relational databases, with demonstrable knowledge of at least one of the following: PostgreSQL, Oracle
- Ability to code and review SQL DDL, DML scripts
- Knowledge of pgBench, pgFouine, Bucardo, Slony-I is desirable
- Knowledge of Oracle RAC, RMAN, DataGuard, ASM, AWR/ASH is desirable
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases is a plus
- 5+ Years experience managing Linux/Unix systems, with demonstrable knowledge of operating system internals, file systems and full-stack troubleshooting
- Knowledge of basic configuration and maintenance of common applications used in internet infrastructure such as: Apache, Tomcat, Nginx, Varnish, Redis, RabbitMQ
- Ability to code in at least one C based high level language (Perl/Python/PHP/Ruby/Java)
- Ability to rapidly learn new development languages, software, technologies, frameworks and APIs
- Identify problems and implement solutions on 24/7 production environments
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently as well as in a team
Characteristics and Behaviors
- Obsess about gaining and maintaining customer trust. Always think about how you are improving the customer's’ life with what you are doing.
- True belief in serving great engineers and creating a team that is world-class. People should be able to look back at their time as part of your team and truly feel that it added value to their careers.
- Attitude of taking ownership and getting things done. While we would love for you to have the capability to consistently make good decisions, it is even more important that you accept responsibility when you’ve made bad ones.
- Be at the top of your game with a deep curiosity of the latest and greatest in technology and infrastructure with a bias towards self-education when faced with unfamiliar technologies, problems, or objectives.
- Have a backbone! Strongly advocate your beliefs of what is best for Backcountry. You state your opinions and disagreements directly by remaining candid as well as apolitical.
- Relentlessly escalate the decisions you are most concerned about; escalation trumps compromise. Yet, once a decision is made, you wholeheartedly commit to it as if it were your own.
Why join the Backcountry Engineering Team?
The best place to do cutting edge technology work and embrace an outdoor lifestyle!
Cutting Edge Technology & Proven Systems: We are committed to owning our technology and constantly evolving to keep pace with modern tools, frameworks, and architecture patterns. We’re actively replacing legacy systems with brand new technology, and there are no arbitrary standards about what technologies are acceptable.
“I like that we own and implement many of our core software systems in-house. It puts us in control of our destiny.”
Make an Impact: Our engineers are creative professionals, not order-takers or code monkeys, and they play a significant part in solving important problems at Backcountry. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and get others excited about getting it into production; if you can convince other people it’s a good idea, you can do it.
“We are designing and building the foundation of the next generation of software for the company. This is an exciting opportunity (that is rare in an established company) to have a fundamental impact on the design and direction of the future software”
Grow, Stretch & Master: Curiosity is king; we delight in opportunities to take on new challenges and learn new ways of solving problems. There are endless opportunities to stretch your skillsets, take on new challenges, become better leaders, solve difficult problems in elegant ways, and build your career.
“Healthy culture within our Engineering department of continuously learning and keeping aware of new tech”
Talent Community & Outdoor Lifestyle: On any given day, you’ll find groups of employees backcountry skiing before coming into work, trail running during lunch, taking a happy hour bike ride, or returning from a kayaking trip. Your coworkers work hard, play hard, and relish in the opportunity to encourage others to try a new outdoor pursuit. There is no better company in the world to feed your passion for technology and the outdoors.
“The ability to be creative and adventurous technically here is rare and awesome.”
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and Whiskey Militia—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Manager, Off-Price
Nick works with Merchandising, Marketing, and Site Experience Teams to optimize and run the day-to-day work on Backcountry’s off-price business, Steep & Cheap.
Back to top