Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer
Costa Rica 

The Senior Software Engineer will have all of the required skills of a senior engineer as well as a demonstrated ability and desire to lead a team by communicating clearly and a willingness to delegate.  The Senior Software Engineer will work closely with other senior members of the team to make architectural decisions and provide mentorship to less experienced engineers on the team. Approx. 80% of the Senior Software Engineer’s time will be dedicated to development, the other 20% is expected to go to solve and propose ideas for current issues and opportunities for improvement for the processes and techniques of software development.

The Senior Software Engineer will strive to understand the product and processes that they are supporting, and demonstrate ownership of those systems, services and features. This position will also partner with the Product Manager to build and groom the backlog, decomposing the opportunity into stories and tasks.  This position will be an advocate for doing things right, but also be realistic and considerate of the business needs.  

An important responsibility of the Senior Software Engineer is to support and motivate the team.  


  • Leadership demonstrated through exceptional work ethic, strong written and verbal communication, and quality developments
  • Motivate team members and provide career guidance and mentorship
  • Advocate best practices and ensure the team follows solid architectural principles
  • Partner with product managers and business stakeholders to solve business problems.  This is typically accomplished by understanding business needs, developing a backlog of user stories, estimating work, and guiding the team in delivering solutions
  • Collaborate with other teams for architecture reviews
  • Foster a sense of ownership within the team to ensure that system failures are rapidly diagnosed and remediated
  • Maintain and support our code release process
  • Establish, drive, and maintain a culture of metrics and monitoring


  • Expert in at least one major OO language, Java or equivalent
  • Strong relational database experience - Postgres, Oracle, SQL server, etc.
  • Skilled in Object Oriented design (loose coupling, DRY, domain modeling, interfaces, abstraction)
  • Passionate about learning unfamiliar technologies -- focus on continuous improvement
  • Experience with continuous integration and automated testing frameworks such as JUnit, TestNG, Mockito, etc.
  • Experience with build pipelines and continuous deployment preferred
  • Experience with web technologies and frameworks preferred
  • Experience with data access frameworks (ORM tools such as Hibernate, JPA, Entity Framework) preferred
  • Knowledge in the design and implementation of RESTful APIs preferred
  • Experience working in an agile/scrum environment preferred
  • Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or Bachelor’s Degree with equivalent experience preferred


Meet Some of's Employees

Jonathan N.


I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.

Georgia S.

Senior Graphic Designer

Georgia collaborates with Backcountry’s Marketing and Content Teams. She ensures the company’s design is cohesive across all channels, including landing pages, social media, and photoshoots.

Back to top