Senior Software Engineer
The Senior Software Engineer will play an essential role on designing, building and maintaining information systems that will support Backcountry’s operations and business. She will work closely with other senior members of the team to define the best solutions to complex problems, make architectural decisions and provide mentorship to less experienced engineers on the team.
The Senior Software Engineer will strive to understand the product and processes that they are supporting, and demonstrate ownership of those systems, services and features. She will also partner with the Engineering Team Lead and the Product Manager to build and groom the backlog, decomposing the opportunity into stories and tasks. She will be an advocate for doing things right, but also be realistic and considerate of the business needs.
As a Senior Software engineer you will continuously increase your technical resume by constantly exploring and learning cutting edge technologies that benefit the software engineering processes across the organization. You will also generate knowledge that will be shared with your peers. You will work on the definition of software development standards and best practices to guarantee the quality and performance of Backcountry’s software ecosystem. A Senior Software Engineer should be capable of instructing, influencing and enabling engineers to achieve success on the company’s initiatives as well as all other projects.
About The Job:
- Leadership demonstrated through exceptional work ethic, strong written and verbal communication, and quality developments
- Motivate team members and provide career guidance and mentorship to less experienced members of the team
- Advocate best practices and ensure the team follows solid architectural principles
- Partner with team leads, product managers and business stakeholders to solve business problems. This is typically accomplished by understanding business needs, developing a backlog of user stories, estimating work, and guiding the team in delivering solutions
- Collaborate with other teams for architecture reviews
- Foster a sense of ownership within the team to ensure that system failures are rapidly diagnosed and remediated
- Maintain and support our code release process
- Establish, drive, and maintain a culture of metrics and monitoring
- Expert in at least one major OO language, Java or equivalent
- Strong relational database experience - Postgres, Oracle, SQL server, etc.
- Skilled in Object Oriented design (loose coupling, DRY, domain modeling, interfaces, abstraction)
- Passionate about learning unfamiliar technologies -- focus on continuous improvement
- Experience with continuous integration and automated testing frameworks such as JUnit, TestNG, Mockito, etc.
- Experience implementing Continuous Integration processes.
- Familiar with various web architectures, platforms, and frameworks (Bonus points for hands-on experience with frameworks such as Node.js, Express.js and AngularJS, Dust)
- Experience in Apache Solr and Mongo DB is preferred.
- Experience with data access frameworks (ORM tools such as Hibernate, JPA, Entity Framework) preferred
- Knowledge in the design and implementation of RESTful APIs preferred
- Experience working in an agile/scrum environment preferred
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or Bachelor’s Degree with equivalent experience preferred
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Graphic Designer
Georgia collaborates with Backcountry’s Marketing and Content Teams. She ensures the company’s design is cohesive across all channels, including landing pages, social media, and photoshoots.
Back to top