Senior Software Engineer
The Senior Software Engineer will have all of the required skills of a senior engineer as well as a demonstrated ability and desire to lead a team by communicating clearly and a willingness to delegate. The Senior Software Engineer will work closely with other senior members of the team to make architectural decisions and provide mentorship to less experienced engineers on the team. Approx. 80% of the Senior Software Engineer’s time will be dedicated to development, the other 20% is expected to go to solve and propose ideas for current issues and opportunities for improvement for the processes and techniques of software development.
The Senior Software Engineer will strive to understand the product and processes that they are supporting, and demonstrate ownership of those systems, services and features. This position will also partner with the Product Manager to build and groom the backlog, decomposing the opportunity into stories and tasks. This position will be an advocate for doing things right, but also be realistic and considerate of the business needs.
An important responsibility of the Senior Software Engineer is to support and motivate the team.
About the Job:
- Leadership demonstrated through exceptional work ethic, strong written and verbal communication, and quality developments
- Motivate team members and provide career guidance and mentorship
- Advocate best practices and ensure the team follows solid architectural principles
- Partner with product managers and business stakeholders to solve business problems. This is typically accomplished by understanding business needs, developing a backlog of user stories, estimating work, and guiding the team in delivering solutions
- Collaborate with other teams for architecture reviews
- Foster a sense of ownership within the team to ensure that system failures are rapidly diagnosed and remediated
- Maintain and support our code release process
- Establish, drive, and maintain a culture of metrics and monitoring
- Expert in at least one major OO language, Java or equivalent
- Strong relational database experience - Postgres, Oracle, SQL server, etc.
- Skilled in Object Oriented design (loose coupling, DRY, domain modeling, interfaces, abstraction)
- Passionate about learning unfamiliar technologies -- focus on continuous improvement
- Experience with continuous integration and automated testing frameworks such as JUnit, TestNG, Mockito, etc.
- Experience with build pipelines and continuous deployment preferred
- Experience with web technologies and frameworks (Spring, Spring MVC, etc) preferred
- Experience with data access frameworks (ORM tools such as Hibernate, JPA, Entity Framework) preferred
- Knowledge in the design and implementation of Web APIs preferred
- Knowledge in the design and implementation of event-driven/message driven architectures.
- Experience working in an agile/scrum environment preferred
- Experience designing applications that integrate with legacy system preferred.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or Bachelor’s Degree with equivalent experience preferred
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.
Back to top