Seasonal Gearhead Operations Team Lead
Seasonal Team Lead, Gearhead Operations
In brief, you’re responsible for providing quality and effective service to our customers through the daily leadership of our Gearhead teams. You’ll create a lively environment through creative motivation, meaningful development and effective leadership. You will optimize the customer experience to ensure that we exceed satisfaction at every interaction by enlisting the Gearheads to become advocates for their customers, finding solutions that address all of their needs. You will reward and recognize performance, coach and mentor Gearheads, and resolve problems as they arise.
About the Team
Our Gearheads are the lifeblood of Backcountry. They’re the first folks customers interact with, and the reason customers return to our site. We wholeheartedly believe service is a differentiator that our business thrives upon. Gearheads pride themselves on expertise; in-depth, technical knowledge of the gear we sell as well as a love of the activities it’s used for… Not to mention, they’re nothing short of total and complete BADASSES. These guys and gals GET AFTER IT outside! Think you’ve skied some serious lines in Little Cottonwood or redpointed hard climbs in American Fork? Think again!
Or maybe you have… In which case, we should talk.
We hire and retain an eclectic bunch of die-hards to man our phones, chat, and email lines. Think ski bums, guides, long-distance backpackers, amateur cyclists, Olympians, coaches – you name ‘em, we’ve got ‘em.
Our team resides in a 25,000 square foot, newly redesigned space in West Valley City, UT. We wanted to run our operation out of a yurt, but 25,000 square foot yurts are hard to come by. So, we put a 30 foot yurt inside the building instead. Best meeting room ever? We think so.
About the Job
- Provide daily direction and communication to Gearheads, holding the customer experience and business performance at high level
- Assists supervisor with daily operation of contact center to include the development, analyses and implementation of staffing, training, sales/customer service, and reward/recognition
- Ensures employees have appropriate training and other resources to perform their jobs; creates and maintains a high quality work environment so team members are motivated to perform at their highest level
- Shares continual responsibility, deciding how to manage employees to ensure contacts are handled efficiently and effectively
- Addresses disciplinary and/or performance problems according to company policy
- Prepares warnings and communicates effectively with employees regarding unsatisfactory performance
- Determines effective, appropriate decisions relative to corrective action as required
- Provides statistical and performance feedback and coaching on a regular basis to each team member
- Writes and administers performance reviews for skill improvement
- Responds to and resolves employee relation issues expressed by team members
- Suggests methods to improve area operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external customers
- Executes weekly 1:1's and quality assurance monitoring
- Monitors team's adherence and attendance
- Review YoY and WoW KPI trends and uses these trends to find areas of improvement within their team
- Create and execute daily/weekly/monthly contests at a team and department level
- Follow up on Customer Experience issues and voice mails
- Other special projects as assigned by management.
- High School diploma or GED required
- Two to four years of customer service or sales experience required
- Enjoys helping others and being in a leadership role
- Self-motivated, upbeat, and with a high energy level
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and adapt quickly to changes
- Strong customer focus, team player and strong work ethic
- Works in a courteous, polite and productive manner when interacting with personnel from all departments
- Ability to engage staff, monitor and motivate performance
- Ability to address and turn around escalated contacts
- Good listening skills – able to encourage team and individual feedback
- Skilled at analyzing and interpreting metrics, utilizing reporting to help drive healthy competition
- Basic knowledge of Excel and Google Docs
- Is creative and thinks outside the box when solving tough issues
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.
Back to top