Merchandise Planning Manager
Backcountry has an excited opportunity to join the Merchandise team in Park City, Ut! This position requires excellent analytical skills, outdoor retail or ecommerce business experience, and the ability to work well alone and with a team. This role is diverse and dynamic. The Merchandise Planning Manager is responsible for high level coordination on a multitude of reporting and analysis, system integration projects and people development.
About the Job:
- Drive financial results that maximize sales and bottom line profitability.
- Train, develop and mentor planner direct reports ensuring that all planner essential functions and deliverables are being met on a timely basis.
- Manage the financial success of a division by meeting sales, margin, and inventory turn goals.
- Analyze historical data and current trends to identify risks and opportunities by division, brand, product groups and style levels.
- Collaborate with Merchandising Directors, Buyers, and applicable cross functional teams to develop and communicate a comprehensive strategy that aligns future financial and product opportunities.
- Create pre-season style plans that support divisional strategies.
- Manage pre-season buys and in-season inventory ownership through hind sighting, creating sell through targets, PO receipt flow, pre-season allocations, pricing strategies and closeout negotiations
- Recap and analyze actual sales results to plan, and forecast in-season sales and inventories on a weekly/monthly/seasonal basis.
- Collaborate with distribution centers on annual inbound/outbound receipt flow strategies
- Develop weekly/monthly forecasts of sales and inventory for never out styles.
- Monitor and evaluate Open-to-Buy weekly. Provide timely and accurate re-projections based upon current trends to effectively manage inventory. Review and support merchant On Order.
- Communicate financial results, forecasts, and action plans to cross-functional team as well as executive team on a weekly/monthly/seasonal basis.
- Collaborate with Buying and Marketing teams to ensure all promotions are supported through inventory management.
- Create and deliver accurate reporting tools to support financial success of divisions.
- Deliver reporting – Weekly Snapshot, Best/Worst Sellers, On Order, Gross Margin, OTB, and MD/MG Top Brand Snapshots.
- Effectively lead teams of multiple planners or associate planners.
- Manage hiring and internal succession plan for team
- Collaborate on the implementation of new company-wide systems and technologies to assure planning process needs are met. Communicate development needs to support department processes where necessary.
- 8+ years of experience in a Planning position, with at least 3 years at an e-commerce company.
- 1+ year(s) of experience managing at least 3 direct reports
- Knowledge of planning software
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with peers and cross-functional teams.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities.
- Able to perform under pressure, organize and prioritize workload to meet deadline.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and strong aptitude to learn technical applications quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap, —aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Graphic Designer
Georgia collaborates with Backcountry’s Marketing and Content Teams. She ensures the company’s design is cohesive across all channels, including landing pages, social media, and photoshoots.
Back to top