Lead Merchants at MotoSport are responsible for achieving the financial goals of their segments. We empower you to set and implement a merchandising plan which allows us to exceed all financial goals. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy and merchandise the gear you love, this could be your job!
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Team Management: Coaches, manages, and develops a team of Assistant Buyer(s)/Buyer(s) through regular one-on-ones and real time feedback. Schedules and drives meetings with Buyer(s) to collaborate and build merchandising and buying plans
- Assortment Planning: developing strategic direction for categories, pricing, category/brand mix, and seasonal/core selection of inventory for segments managed
- Vendor Negotiations: discounts, terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, closeout buys, MDF funds, PO compliance and issues management, image use, price-matching, and special/exclusive buys. Lead Merchant, with the wider team, policies pricing and solicits closeouts. Works with Director and Planning on long-term vendor planning
- Building POs: (Qty/Dollar/Style Allocation, Size/Color Breakout), Edit POs, Flash Notes, PO Type (at worksheet creation)
- Collaboration: Bridging the gap between merchandising activities and marketing activities, regular interaction with display, creative and other marketing functions
- Promotions: brainstorming/hind-sighting promotion concepts and performance, identifying types of promotions and building calendar with marketing, picking SKUs/links and Rules Pages, reviewing and providing creative briefs, review, QA and approve functionality, review and react to performance, and identify risks in promotional calendar, build back-ups
- Pricing: Sets MAP and product life cycle pricing strategy, sets in-line/in-season pricing (promo periods, price matching, promotional calendar management), manages end of season price-break dates, communicates all in-season and end of season price breaks to marketing team and is responsible for assignment to the promotional calendar, works with Director and Planning on managing aged or end of life pricing
- Inventory Management: Works with Director and Planning to manage inventory levels and goals, hind sighting SKU/category performance, preseason inventory allocation, setting in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, moving aged and toxic inventory, closeout inventory, manages return to vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with company wide financial goals
- Online Merchandising: Oversees the boosting/sort order for responsible brands/categories based on vendor agreements and brand margins, review and optimizes site taxonomy and facets, drives on-site promotions via homepage banners, category banners and other promotional space opportunities
- P&L Responsibility: Owns revenue, margin, and inventory (turn, receipt flow, inventory levels, in-stock levels) goals for their segments
- 5-7 years of relevant Industry Merchandising and Buying experience, including management experience
- Willingness and ability to travel to as needed
- Firm understanding of retail math and fundamentals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel is required)
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Outstanding time management skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize competing tasks/initiatives
MotoSport.com is more than a powersports company. We are a gathering of power sports devotees who ride and wrench like there’s no tomorrow… just like our customers. Because we ‘re living the moto life, we make sure that we have the right parts and gear for you – whoever you are. But we wouldn’t be that different from the other guys if we just had a ton of stuff, would we? So we’ll do you one better: here at MotoSport.com we have a wealth of expert knowledge that comes from experience. That means our customers get the right parts and gear every time, and we go above and beyond to get it there in time. At the end of it all, we strive to make people (who aren’t that different from us) happy and satisfied… after all, we know what it’s like to be passionate about powersports, so who better to bring that enthusiasm to life than MotoSport?
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. MotoSport employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Check us out in action here:
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Graphic Designer
Georgia collaborates with Backcountry’s Marketing and Content Teams. She ensures the company’s design is cohesive across all channels, including landing pages, social media, and photoshoots.
Back to top