Are you an enthusiastic Manager of Software Engineering, devoted to customers being thrilled about the products your team builds? If so, you might be perfect for MotoSport! We're seeking an accomplished leader of people with an intense passion for technology & scalable architectures, both of which should come across in every action. If you're well-versed in ecommerce retail and driven to technological superiority, particularly over competitors, this is the job for you. Our manager will also have a true belief in serving great engineers, creating trust relationships with partners and building an elite team through strategic hiring, and continual development of employees’ potential.
About the job:
- Build a great engineering team by developing a strategic talent acquisition process focused on acquiring smart and enterprising engineers, and providing meaningful growth feedback to individuals on the team.
- Build constructive relationships with MotoSport leadership team, Backcountry support and other invested parties. Communicate the status and objectives of the technical operations of the team in a way that business and non-technical users can understand.
- Make intelligent use of training resources and coaching skills to help the team members to become full stack engineers that are able to contribute on multiple areas of the business.
- Coach & mentor your engineers to become leaders, who can individually drive the technology in their respective areas of responsibility.
- Implement engineering best practices that enable your teams to succeed in a highly agile environment and deliver software in a Continuous Delivery fashion.
- Implement improvements around the current Software Development Quality Assurance process in order to decrease defects and incidents while allowing the team to continue to move fast.
- Empower the MotoSport software developers and their Agile Scrum process so they continue to deliver value to the business and pursue the culture of continuous improvement based on the tools offered by the framework.
- Maintain, improve and continually iterate upon an e-commerce platform that is modular, scalable, high performance and provides a compelling customer experience on multiple devices.
- Partner effectively product management and company leadership in product & feature definition while also enabling them to understand the importance of technical non-functional requirements of the products and platforms.
- The product roadmaps coming out of your collaboration with business partners and the product management team should be jointly owned and reflect the right mix of functional and non-functional features.
- Represent the Engineering department at the local business [MotoSport] table, and represent MotoSport within the larger Backcountry Engineering Leadership team.
- Coordinate local technology incident response and aid with prioritization of workload and requirements gathering.
- History of building engineering teams through deep involvement in hiring process and demonstrated ability to distinguish between moderate and great engineers.
- Effective communication of technical status reports, roadmaps, incidents and other engineering events to non-technical partners.
- Demonstrated competence in coaching, mentoring and growing software developers into leaders.
- Experience leading software development, helping fine-tune estimates, honing definitions of done, and improving quality of output and time to delivery.
- Successful history of leading engineering teams that deliver excellent web & mobile products in the consumer Internet space.
- Fluency in a wide breadth of technologies and confirmed ability to step outside of a well-defined “technology footprint” to lead multiple teams & functions. Experience leading a PHP/MSSQL stack is preferred.
- Technical acumen and experience necessary to absorb technical details to confidently sign off on architectures of the products and features built by the team.
- Track record of implementing engineering best practices of TDD, Test Automation, modular designs, designing for “roll forward” and “roll back” etc. to be successful in a highly Agile environment.
- Solid understanding of modern architectures for web applications. Track record of interaction with services, events, caching, monitoring & alerting.
- Familiar with the concepts and practices behind DevOps to encourage ownership about all the life cycles of an application, collaboration with other teams, and the constant improvement of processes with the right toolset.
- Success managing a technical environment in the cloud (AWS is preferred).
- Experienced with SQL Server Database development and troubleshooting. Good understanding of relational databases. Knowledge about non relational databases is a plus.
- Success in implementing Continuous Delivery.
- History of leadership in driving and managing change - showing excellent communication skills, partnership skills and ability to inspire engineers.
- Experience managing offshore resources will be considered a plus.
MotoSport.com is more than a powersports company. We are a gathering of power sports devotees who ride and wrench like there’s no tomorrow… just like our customers. Because we ‘re living the moto life, we make sure that we have the right parts and gear for you – whoever you are. But we wouldn’t be that different from the other guys if we just had a ton of stuff, would we? So we’ll do you one better: here at MotoSport.com we have a wealth of expert knowledge that comes from experience. That means our customers get the right parts and gear every time, and we go above and beyond to get it there in time. At the end of it all, we strive to make people (who aren’t that different from us) happy and satisfied… after all, we know what it’s like to be passionate about powersports, so who better to bring that enthusiasm to life than MotoSport?
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. MotoSport employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.
Back to top