Director, User Experience Design
The Director, User Experience Design has outstanding conceptual, interaction, and visual design skills. They will use design thinking to push innovation across the entire organization, contributing to strategy, organizational design, and marketing. As Design Director you are a passionate advocate of the brand and its users. You have an innate ability to articulate stakeholder visions into intuitive and compelling user experiences. You have a strong track record of designing successful new products. You are collaborative and tireless in the pursuit of excellence throughout the entire product lifecycle. You will bring together, inspire, coach, and mentor our diverse group of visual, UX designers, engineers, and product managers to create a design culture.
About the Job:
- Understand and support both customer needs and business drivers within the solutions provided.
- Communicate design solutions clearly and effectively to fellow designers, key business stakeholders, product managers and engineering.
- Actively pursue continuous improvement based on site analytics and maintain a constant pulse on the behaviors of our customers.
- Support rapid iteration and experimentation of user experience within existing products and new products to increase user engagement and attract new customers.
- Partner closely with the product manager, user experience designers, and engineering team in an Agile environment to successfully build and deploy intuitive products with high quality standards.
- Direct the design and user experience function to align the talent, tools and processes, with the business goals and brand strategy.
- Push both the experience and product design team to the next level.
- Inspire, mentor, grow and attract top design talent.
- Oversee all design and user experience initiatives across all platforms in support of ambitious brand strategy and user engagement goals.
- Closely work with creative director and director of brand to create well rounded design & brand experiences.
- 7+ years experience within the field of user experience and interaction design/development on various platforms.
- 2-3+ years of experience managing a team of user experience designers.
- Experience in and a desire to mentor and develop designers.
- A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- Strong interaction design, visual design, prototyping skills, and the ability to help shape product strategy
- Human-centric approach to designing products
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Experience in or with retail based experiences or environments.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and Whiskey Militia—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Manager, Off-Price
Nick works with Merchandising, Marketing, and Site Experience Teams to optimize and run the day-to-day work on Backcountry’s off-price business, Steep & Cheap.
Back to top