Director, People Team (HR)
Backcountry’s Director of People is a leader with deep expertise in talent management and an understanding of the short-term and long-term strategies needed to motivate and inspire teams. This leader will manage and oversee recruiting, compensation strategies, personnel reviews, learning and development objectives, HR business partner interactions with the business and be integral in leading the corporate culture of Backcountry.
About the Job:
- Create compelling and dynamic cultural programs and initiatives that engage, inspire and motivate the Backcountry Team in the US and internationally.
- Support the creation and execution of manager development programs to drive a culture focused on high performance and open feedback. Evolve and scale tools for managers and direct reports to interact, communicate and align on company goals and strategies.
- Provide thought leadership and guidance on benefits, compensation, organizational structure, change management, employee relations, training and development, performance evaluation, recruiting, acquisitions, and HR policies
- Recommend and implement innovative programs to elevate culture and evolve people/recruiting practices that align with company strategies and values.
- Coach, mentor, and partner with leaders and managers at all levels of the organization.
- Ensure competitiveness of Backcountry’s employment value proposition relative to other local and national employers.
- Ensure constant review, development and enforcement of Recruiting, HR, and Perks policies.
- Lead all people-focused change programs, including acquisitions and other business structural changes
- Work with Legal to ensure personnel policies are in compliance with local, state and federal law.
- Work with Legal to develop and deploy compliance training involving recruiting, non-discrimination, and other personnel policies.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 6 years of corporate HR experience
- A history of results and excellent performance across all HR functions: recruitment, employee relations, performance management, organizational development, and team management.
- Exceptional communication skills and deep experience delicately handling complex issues at all levels of the organization.
- Budgeting and forecasting for group management
- Personnel management of HR team and company or division leadership of company initiatives
- Exceptional presentation and listening skills. Must have the credibility and professional presence necessary to give high-quality input to a variety of audiences.
- Policy drafting and enforcement
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.
Back to top