Director of Merchandising - Bike
The Director, Merchandising Bike will oversee the Competitive Cyclist and Backcountry assortment and selling strategies for all soft goods and hard goods categories within Bike, and will oversee a team of buyers. This role will be focused on ensuring the assortment both meets the sales goals and aligns to our branding strategy.
The Director will oversee a buying team with a multi-million dollar open-to-buy budget, defining strategy and day-to-day decisions, and partnering closely with marketing and creative to build the brand. This individual is also responsible for developing and maintaining strategic relationships with our vendors, and for ensuring that our vendors are fulfilling our purchase orders according to our expectations.
About the Job:
- Responsible for $100M+ sales and margin% and turn of all categories and team, using all available sites and channels.
- Manage and mentor a team of 8 ranging from assistant to Sr. Buyer level.
- Develop and maintain accountability for overall assortment and selection strategy across key, core and unique products.
- Implement and entrench a rigorous analytical process across the team to understand historical sales and inventory performance to inform future opportunities and actions.
- Maintain and develop strategic relationships and opportunities with key vendors: act as an ambassador for Competitive Cyclist and Backcountry.com, and serve as the eyes and ears for the rest of the team.
- Work closely with planning director to develop and manage annual/quarterly revenue, buying and receipt budgets.
- Develop an annual/seasonal selling calendar with marketing to highlight key products, categories and promotions, emphasizing unique and differentiated stories.
- Utilize all available inventory tools to maximize sales and turn: back order, pre-order, auto-replen, and drop-ship.
- Oversee the flow of inventory in order to maximize potential sales while being mindful of the absolute necessity of quick inventory turns.
- Coordinate with the visual merchandising team to curate product stories, optimize taxonomy/sortation and implement cross sells to drive sales.
- Partner with content to ensure to define and uphold category content standards and ensure time site metrics are being met.
- Maintain our inventory investment lean without causing us to lose sales because of stock-outs.
- Negotiate pricing, terms and freight allowances with vendors. Opportunities to build gross margin through re-structuring of vendor programs and seeking out key buys and closeouts should be pursued and communicated through the correct channels.
- Proactively pursue and procure closeout inventory to pad margin and sales.
- Bachelor’s degree, in business-related field is strongly preferred.
- At least 7+ years in retail buying, preferably online
- Experience managing a team of buyers
- A comprehensive knowledge and passion for bike apparel and gear is preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and must be solution-oriented.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Outgoing personality and strong negotiation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of our marquee bike brands.
- A full understanding of the bike industry, outdoor specific wholesale product life cycle, and wholesale purchasing.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and Whiskey Militia—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Manager, Off-Price
Nick works with Merchandising, Marketing, and Site Experience Teams to optimize and run the day-to-day work on Backcountry’s off-price business, Steep & Cheap.
Back to top