Director of Merchandise Planning
Backcountry has an amazing opportunity to join our Merchandise team in Park City! The Director of Merchandise Planning is responsible for leading a team to drive topline financial plans from a divisional level to a department/category level to strategically manage the business to hit sales, margin and inventory goals. This individual is a key partner to the heads of Merchandising and Finance among other cross-functional leads.
About the Job:
- Responsible for leading, developing and training the planning and operations teams for Soft Goods and Accessories
- At the division/category level, develop sales, gross margin and inventory plans that align with the company’s profit objectives and merchandise product opportunities
- Drive strategic merchandising financial planning and partner closely with Finance to manage the monthly/yearly budget and other financial goals
- Guide the planning and merchandising teams to capitalize on new opportunities and identify risks based on historical data and industry trends
- Analyze and present key metrics to senior leadership team
- Partner closely with the VPs of Merchandising and Director of Bike on financial decisions and inventory management and serve as the gatekeeper for the financial health of the business
- Collaborate with merchandising and marketing teams in the development and implementation of all promotional activities and pricing actions
- Oversee all vendor online dealer agreements and operations to ensure maximum profitability while minimizing potential risks to the organization
- Serve as a key stake holder in the development and implementation of all process and technology improvements that relate to merchandising and planning
- 8-10+ years of direct experience in planning, ideally in a multi-channel retail business and with brands that are recognized as industry leaders
- 2+ years of senior level management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Proven track record of success in a planning role with a strong understanding of planning and merchandising disciplines including gross margin, inventory optimization, pricing & promotions, and sales and distribution
- Strong financial and business acumen with the proven ability to build financial plans/forecasts, and communicate and explain complex financial data
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and develop a team of planning professionals
- Great strategic thinker, superior communicator, and confident decision-maker that is able to partner and influence
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and juggle multiple projects and personalities at once
- Energetic, fun, and personable with passion for life and the outdoors
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and Whiskey Militia—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Manager, Off-Price
Nick works with Merchandising, Marketing, and Site Experience Teams to optimize and run the day-to-day work on Backcountry’s off-price business, Steep & Cheap.
Back to top