Director, Analytics and Performance Marketing
The Director of Analytics and Performance Marketing is a new role being introduced to drive sophistication in our customer acquisition channels. This position truly operates at the intersection of marketing, product and analytics and will liaise closely with central teams.
The role will manage a team of 4-6 analytical and technical specialists with the mandate of partnering with our channel managers to drive performance improvements in core channels. These channels include paid and organic search, product shopping channels, affiliates and paid social. The team will look to understand questions such as how should our bid approach adjust to price changes in our assortment, or trend analysis to identify best practice in creative. They will add scale, efficiencies and greater responsiveness in our channels to be able to react effectively to changes in underlying consumer behavior or product attributes. They will partner closely with user experience, engineering, technology and merchandising to understand business dynamics that drive day to day changes in marketing campaigns as well as identify opportunities to leverage technology to drive automation and scale.
About the Job:
- Design and implement the strategy, roadmap, and implementation of a marketing analytics plan to drive sophistication, scale and automation within our paid media
- Example projects include -
- Develop a pricing bid strategy for campaign changes during off price periods
- Analyze and identify campaign best practice and support rollout at scale, partnering closely with the channel managers
- Partner closely with central analytics and product teams to utilize available technologies for marketing objectives and influence team roadmaps
- Build a hypothesis led A/B testing roadmap across key channels
- Drive and shape landing page strategy, partnering closely with the user experience and technology teams to improve the inbound funnel
- Identify efficient means of managing campaign channels to the long-tail of inventory assortment
- Test and build new solutions to enable scale and impact conversion across all channels to unlock further growth and/or cost efficiencies
- Educate channel managers on how to best leverage current technology and programmatic capabilities
- Partner with central analytics to identify opportunities to introduce data science and statistics to improve campaign performance
- Collaborate with internal/agency and partner resources for testing and scaling new approaches to campaigns and programs
- Support a program that enables best practice to be shared across our individual websites
- Minimum 7 years of quantitative digital marketing and/or Product Management experience
- At least 4 years of team management experience
- Strong analytical mindset and skills, including the ability to break down complex scenarios into constituent parameters
- Understanding of fundamental concepts in probability, statistics and more broadly data science, in areas such as confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, etc. Although not an applied-math position, these concepts are highly relevant to test design and results interpretation
- Experience with interactive marketing techniques including inbound/outbound marketing, demand generation, SEO, SEM, PPC, Analytics, etc
- Experience with CRM frameworks to drive long-term customer profitability
- Strong Excel and SQL skills
- An understanding of tracking, tagging and analytics solutions to enable new capabilities
- Self-starter who works effectively within and across teams
- Comfortable making decisions in a dynamic and high velocity environment
- An awareness of technologies in the marketing space and beyond that can be deployed to tackle marketing challenges
- An appetite to be on the leading edge of marketing sophistication and an attitude to test and explore new capabilities
- P&L management skills required
- Bachelor's Degree in a quantitative or computer science related field.
Backcountry is a portfolio of premium specialty retail brands. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of premium outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate six specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and Whiskey Militia.
Back to top