Our Backcountry.com Closeout buying team is responsible for sourcing quality outdoor clothing & gear at the best prices online. The work they do is key to achieving financial goals within the merchandising team. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy the gear you love, this could be your job!
About the Job:
- Closeout Buying: Sources & assesses off-price inventory for the Steep & Cheap customer, taking into account market trends as well as current & historical selling history. Sources both opportunity buys and planned/strategic buys.
- Vendor Relationships & Negotiations: Actively fosters/creates vendor relationships, negotiates first looks, discounts, terms, and image use.
- PO Management: Creates spreadsheets for SKU/PO worksheet creation, builds Closeout POs (Qty/Dollar/Style Allocation, Size/Color Breakout) under fast deadlines and ensures submission to vendors.
- Promotions: Works closely with the Senior Buyer to create a selling strategy for Closeout inventory, brainstorms Steep & Cheap promotion concepts, identifying types of promotions and building calendar with marketing, reviews and reacts to performance, reviews boosting/sort order for promotions, ensures our closeout assortment is merchandised to maximize sales.
- Pricing: Negotiates with vendors to hit key price points, works closely with Planning counterpart to set and monitor pricing & discounts on Closeout buys
- Inventory Management: Reviews SKU/Brand/Category performance for future opportunities, establishes closeout receipt flow, sets sell-through targets, works with Planning on an exit strategy for slow movers
- Team Management: ensures utilization and development of Assistant Buyer(s), works closely with Planning partner and departmental team to ensure all initiatives and goals are met
- 3-5 years of Closeout buying experience necessary; e-commerce and/or industry experience preferred
- Pro-active and decisive, can make informed decisions quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills; effective negotiator
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
- Outstanding time management skills; ability to prioritize competing tasks/initiatives
- Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Firm understanding of Retail Math and Fundamentals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must)
- Willingness and ability to travel to as needed
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our six online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and Whiskey Militia—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
Senior Manager, Off-Price
Nick works with Merchandising, Marketing, and Site Experience Teams to optimize and run the day-to-day work on Backcountry’s off-price business, Steep & Cheap.
Back to top