Bike Copywriter - Product Content
The Copywriter is responsible for writing product descriptions and detailing technical features for products from across the cycling industry. Rather than simply reiterating catalog and vendor information, the Copywriter is expected to demonstrate their expertise, educate the customer, and reinforce brand voice directives by describing the product in terms of a performance or lifestyle narrative.
The position requires intimate knowledge of road, ‘cross, gravel, and mountain bike culture and tech, and it also hinges on the ability to research and synthesize product information as part of an engaging and informative reader experience. Racing and mechanic experience are preferred, but not necessary. Competitive Cyclist aims to appeal to the values and motivations that inspire cyclists of all backgrounds and experience levels with authentic, educational content.
About the Job:
- Write product descriptions for e-commerce retail sites
- Ensure each description focuses on the product's unique benefits and contains the technical and use information a customer needs to make an informed purchasing decision
- Ensure technical specifications for products are accurate and complete, SEO presence is maximized, and writing is compliant with in-house style guides
- Synthesize information from catalogs, vendor websites and representatives, third party resources, and firsthand experience
- Adopt a voice that is relevant to the product, the target consumer, and internal brand directives
- Contribute to the team’s professional development by participating in department meetings, directing coaching sessions, pitching ideas, and driving efficiencies
- Meet a consistent level of production across a variety of product types
- Ability to write excellent, engaging copy is a must
- Experience writing for e-commerce or related industries
- College degree in English, creative writing, communications, journalism, or similar field
- Deep knowledge of the products that we carry and culture surrounding these target markets
- Demonstrated ability to use tone/voice/story to write product descriptions that are relevant, unique, and engaging
- Understanding of SEO impact and Intellectual Property rights is a plus
- Experience working within a Content Management System
- Ability to thrive in an ever-changing environment at the forefront of specialty retail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Meet Some of Backcountry.com's Employees
I have the best confluence of a compelling career and a lifestyle that allows me to live as holistically as possible.
Back to top