Associate Buyer - Women's Softgoods
Backcountry has an outstanding opportunity for an Associate Buyer in the Women’s Softgoods Merchandising department. Our Associate Buyers collaborate with Buyers and Senior Buyers to achieve their Merchandise Division’s (MD) financial goals. We’ll also empower you to set and implement a purchase plan allowing us to exceed your MD’s financial goals. If you yearn for a fast-paced work environment coupled with the opportunity to buy product you love, this could be your job!
About the Job
- Assortment Selection: pricing, category/brand mix, and seasonal selection of inventory for Women’s Apparel.
- Vendor Negotiations: discounts, terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, Close-out buys, PO compliance and issues management, image use, price-matching, and special/exclusive buys.
- PO Management: marks vendor catalogs for SKU/PO worksheet creation, building POs (Qty/Dollar/Style Allocation, Size/Color Breakout) and ensures on time submission to vendors, timely management of PO edits, and carries out all PO type builds and maintenance (Preseason, ASAP, Closeout).
- Promotions: Works with the Buyer to brainstorm/hind-sight promotional concepts and performance and helps to set up promotional cadence for the category. Picks SKUs/links and reviews all rules pages. QA promo functionality, review and react to performance, and identify risks in promotional calendar.
- Pricing: Works with the Buyer to set the Pre-season pricing strategy, in-line/in-Season pricing (promo periods, price matching, promotional calendar management), manage end of season price-break dates, communicate all in-season and end of season price breaks to marketing team and is responsible for assignment to the promotional calendar.
- Inventory Management: Works with Buyers to establish Preseason PO Receipt Flow, Preseason inventory allocation, aggressively pursues Closeout opportunities to fill Closeout OTB, set in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, moving aged and toxic inventory, closeout inventory, manages Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with company- wide financial goals.
- Online Merchandising: reviews/optimizes color thumbnail displayed on PLP and Search pages, oversees the boosting/sort order for responsible brands/categories, sets up Cross Sell/Up Sells tools, manages Backorders, review and optimizes site taxonomy and facets, and utilized Kit Calculator as required per category.
- 1-3 years of relevant Industry Merchandise Buying experience
- Willingness and ability to travel to as needed
- Solid foundation of Retail Math and Buying Fundamentals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must)
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Outstanding time management skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize competing tasks/initiatives
Backcountry is the leading online retailer of premium outdoor gear. Our mission at Backcountry, why we exist, is to connect people to their passions. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate six online specialty stores- Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and WhiskeyMilitia.
Back to top