Head of Customer Support
- Oakland, CA
Babylist exists to serve new and expecting parents. We help them make decisions with confidence, connect them with their community, and feel ready for their new family member.
As the head of Customer Support, you will lead our growing Customer Support team (+16 distributed US-based employees and +10 distributed international contractors) to deliver exceptional support to our users and customers. You will own defining standards, guiding ongoing training efforts and support of new features, setting KPIs and managing the team to achieve those goals. You’re the right fit for this role if you have both strategic and executional experience leading and scaling support operations and organizations. You know how to use both qualitative customer feedback and quantitative data to constantly prioritize what we do, how we do it, and how to make it better.
Our ideal candidate has experience managing the team on the day-to-day aspects of customer support (managing tickets, promoting self-service, and providing feedback to Operations and Product) and for developing new ways Customer Support can drive broader business goals. You will be a key member of Babylist’s leadership team.
What You'll Do
- Ensure every customer support interaction is a reflection of Babylist's values
- Represent the voice of the customer and energize our organization to support them, driving awareness of user pain points and partnering cross-functionally to develop solutions
- Build a best-in class team, including creating career paths, managing burnout, and fostering a culture that reflects our customer promise
- Support and guide the CS team to achieve quality and efficiency targets, mentoring and coaching both supervisors and front-line agents to perform their best
- Innovate the ways we can better support our customers - whether through new platforms, channels or communication styles
- Link CS team efforts clearly to measurable KPIs such as customer satisfaction, engagement or sales
- Collaborate with all other functions in the company to drive better customer outcomes
- Develop and deliver the long-term strategies (in partnership with Product and Biz Ops) for how Support’s internal operations and tools can improve and how its role and value-add within the company can expand
- Keep a pulse on changes in the market - Trust, Privacy, Ecommerce policies, Fraud - and proactively refine policies and practices in partnership with our Marketing, Product, Operations, etc.
Who You Are
- You are passionate about Babylist - what we do and who we do it for.
- You are empathetic. You deeply care about customer experience, and you make decisions with our users top-of-mind
- You’ve done it before. You’ve managed and scaled customer support teams, and enjoy the challenges associated with maintaining excellence at scale / without compromising for scale
- You are a great coach and people developer. You know how to enable teams to achieve new heights through mentorship, feedback, and career development / support. You’re experienced in working with distributed teams, and supporting open communication, feedback, and fostering a sense of connectedness and visibility across the team
- You lead from the front. You are able to dive deep into a specific customer interaction and role-model how to resolve complex customer situations
- You are data-driven. You have a deep understanding of the primary metrics that customer experience should be monitoring, what levers influence those metrics, and how those metrics might vary given Babylist’s business
- You love problem-solving. You are a quick study who can chart the best course of action while accounting for potential impact across customers / users, teams, and the company
- You are an exceptional communicator. You partner effectively to get results, communicating with both engineers on a customer flow and a user’s grandmother to buy the perfect gift
What You've Done
- Built-out and scaled Customer Support operations, particularly in a dynamic, fast-paced startup or tech environment; experience should include designing and overseeing training, QA, and metric management programs at scale
- Managed in-house teams; must have experience managing distributed teams
- Led a Support team of 25+ people at scale (24/7 global operations, multi-channel communications)
- 5+ years in CS, 3+ in people management
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Zendesk experience preferred
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. We have a large and rapidly growing user base of passionate parents-to-be who are making important purchasing decisions for one of the biggest events in their lives, which is both exciting and overwhelming. Our core product is our universal baby registry. Currently one in two first-time expecting families in the United States actually create a baby registry at Babylist.com. In 2019, over $400 million worth of gifts were purchased off of Babylist registries.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
• We get stuff done
• We have a real impact on people’s lives
• We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
• We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
• We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
• We’re a technological and data-driven business
• We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
• We have experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
• Competitive pay
• Competitive health benefits including company-funded medical, dental, and vision
• 401(k), FSA plans, and disability insurance
• Flexible, paid parental leave policy
• Flexibility to work from home and prioritize home life as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19
• Easy access to BART and commuter assistance (when we return to the office)
• We work at a sustainable pace; in general we don't work late or on weekends, and most employees WFH on Wednesdays
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Back to top