- Oakland, CA
Babylist is looking for an experienced, highly technical, and driven Engineering Manager to help lead our growing team.
The Babylist engineering team is involved in growing and scaling all aspects of our business, including our consumer-facing web/iOS/Android apps, e-commerce operational infrastructure, content distribution platforms, data-warehousing and business intelligence platforms.
Our current team size is 12, with plans to grow to 18-20 in the next year. We are partially distributed with most of the team based in Oakland, CA.
What You'll Do
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment. As we grow we want to find the best talent for our team, whether that’s here at HQ or elsewhere; you’ll help us decide on the right scaling strategies and hire your own team
- Own the tactical planning and execution for your team in alignment with Product goals and Engineering goals.
- Help your team achieve their highest potential. Play the key role in on-boarding and mentoring your team.
- Review technical roadmaps and help the team on key technical decisions by providing thought leadership around process, tooling and systems; we benefit by more knowledge and learning how others solve problems
- Ensure that we meet our commitments to ship high-quality software, clearly communicating across the product development team and company regarding key milestones or at any time there are risks to our commitments
- Work closely with product owners to design, implement, and deploy systems to support and scale our growing e-commerce, content, and fulfillment operations
What You've Done
- 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- You understand testing, monitoring and running a production software system
- Hired, mentored and retained senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams
- Experience independently starting self-sustaining teams is a plus
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction
- Operated well in the unknown - experienced with rapid growth and constantly shifting challenges and priorities. We’re looking for someone who is able to adapt and shift strategy quickly, and is able to manage the team well in the process
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Worked well in cross-functional teams (eng, product, design, operations)
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. We have a large and rapidly growing user base of passionate parents-to-be who are making important purchasing decisions for one of the biggest events in their lives, which is both exciting and overwhelming. Our core product is our universal baby registry. Currently one in two first-time expecting families in the United States actually create a baby registry at Babylist.com. In 2019, over $400 million worth of gifts were purchased off of Babylist registries.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
• We get stuff done
• We have a real impact on people’s lives
• We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
• We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
• We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
• We’re a technological and data-driven business
• We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
• We have experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
• Competitive pay
• Competitive health benefits including company-funded medical, dental, and vision
• 401(k), FSA plans, and disability insurance
• Flexible, paid parental leave policy
• Flexibility to work from home and prioritize home life as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19
• Easy access to BART and commuter assistance (when we return to the office)
• We work at a sustainable pace; in general we don't work late or on weekends, and most employees WFH on Wednesdays
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Back to top