Senior Product Designer - Real-Time Mobile Communications
- Seattle, WA
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
We are building a new product that will help first responders at the most critical moment – when they’re responding to a call for service. How do we get first responders the right information, at the right time, and in the right format, so that they can arrive at the scene prepared and ready to act? How can we equip them to coordinate with each other and their partners (fire, medical, other neighboring agencies)? The right solution will utilize intelligent mapping and routing, real-time communications, applications of artificial intelligence, and a heavy focus on making industry-leading experiences usable for both for first responders doing 60 MPH in a 35 zone and for dispatchers handling hundreds of calls a day.
Check out our future vision for Axon products here: https://vimeo.com/333871354
Check out our future vision for our records product here: https://vimeo.com/221924983
Read about our ethics board: https://www.axon.com/info/ai-ethics
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
- Lead product design for mobile public safety communications. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing and working with Engineering on implementation.
- Partner closely with Product Management leadership on initial product definition and ongoing product evolution and execution.
- Turn complex interactions involving a diverse set of users, a complex physical environment, social interactions, regional differences, and an ecosystem of hardware devices and software applications, into simple experience solutions.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and UX Researchers to initiate, execute, and extract insights using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Collaborate with other design leads across product teams to ensure great user experiences across all of our products.
- Participate in hiring across the larger product design and product management & engineering organizations keeping a high bar.
- Contribute to defining global design mobile patterns, vision, and processes for Axon products.
- Contribute to defining the general product design vision and process at Axon.
- Be an ambassador and champion for the design culture at Axon.
- Present products and feature ideas and execution up to executive level.
- 6+ years of product design experience with at least 2 years of leading major product design initiatives
- Bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI or related field. A master's degree is considered a plus.
- At least 2 years experience researching, designing and shipping complete mobile applications for iOS and Android with a moderate to high level of complexity (enterprise workflows or complex consumer purchasing / content creation flows rather than simple consumer flows).
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. You have experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of the latest design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Sketch, Abstract and Invision, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Comfortable in both leader and follower roles.
- Experience with geospatial product design such as location tracking and map design is considered a big plus.
- Experience with designing instant messaging, chat, or push-to-talk solutions is is considered a plus.
- A great portfolio available for review.
Compensation and Benefits
- Award-winning office and working environment with the newest technology.
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package.
- Discretionary PTO.
- Fun team activities and outings.
- Flexible working hours.
- Options for training in the US.
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top