Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. In the next 10 years, we’ll triple the amount of time officers can spend serving their communities. In the next 20, we’ll eliminate paperwork in policing so that officers can focus on what matters. And in the next 50 years, we’ll make the bullet obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Footage from body worn cameras and in-car footage is no ImageNet, or even a Youtube-8M for that matter. The domain is relatively unconstrained; the footage is extremely shaky, blurry, and spans day and night; the concepts we need to understand span all sorts of physical sizes and time scales; and most importantly, the cameras are never being “focused” on anything because there is no operator intentionally filming things. We have the challenging task of determining what a video is about as a whole, as well as creating a fine-grained temporal segmentation of all sorts of actions and small objects that are present on-screen at the same time.
Though it's difficult and unsolved, the impact of our work is immense-unlike most ML research in industry, the success of your models directly impacts the status quo of transparency and accountability in law enforcement.
In this role
- You will be building automation for ML models from experimentation to production on large quantities of data across distributed environments.
- You will drive core ML engineering via pairing with our Research Scientists to design experiments together and take leadership on implementation of new ideas behind those experiments.
- You will take models that have worked well on smaller datasets and scaling and optimizing our ML pipelines and models to reach their full potential on the petabytes of footage at Axon.
- You will continually read the state of the art of research, and work with research scientists to publish novel work (optional).
- You will see that generalizable parts of your work get open-sourced.
Who you are
- You have a strong background in High Performance Computing, Cloud Infrastructures, and GPU optimization.
- You have a good understanding of the complete workflow from collecting and annotating the appropriate data for the task at hand to training models and evaluating their performance.
- You easily implement research ideas in frameworks like Tensorflow/Keras/Torch/Caffe
- You've had success in dealing with large datasets in a ML context
- (Bonus) You have a strong background in ML, stats, or a related field. MS or MEng in vision, NLP, audio, stats, or ML preferred.
- An awesome office/working environment with the latest technology
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package
- Discretionary PTO
- Fun team activities and outings
- Flexible working hours
- Options for training in the US
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement
We're building a team that spans diversity of all kinds, which we think is critical in our mission to bring officers and the communities they serve closer together. If this is something you care about, we would love to have you join us.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top