Product Design Manager
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Officers currently spend 60-65% of their time writing reports, which takes away from valuable time spent serving our community. We are building Axon Records, a brand-new cloud-based web application that will drastically reduce officer's time spent on reports, eliminate tedious paperwork, and ultimately save lives. Over time, Axon Records will evolve into a family of law enforcement tools designed to make our communities safer.
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
- Lead product design for Axon Records. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing and working with Engineering on implementation.
- Manage and grow a team of talented Product Designers working on various aspects of the Axon Records product line.
- Own recruiting and hiring talent for your team and participate in hiring across the larger product design and product management & engineering organizations keeping a high bar.
- Partner closely with Product Management leadership on initial product definition and ongoing product evolution and execution.
- Turn complex interactions involving a diverse set of users, a complex physical environment, social interactions, regional differences, and an ecosystem of hardware devices and software applications, into simple experience solutions.
- Collaborate with UX Researcher and Product Managers to initiate, execute, and extract insights using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Collaborate with other design leads across product teams to ensure great user experiences across all of our products.
- Be an ambassador and champion for the design culture at Axon.
- Pitch products and feature ideas and execution up to executive level.
- Contribute to defining the general product design vision and process at Axon.
- 6+ years of product design experience with at least 2 years of leading major product design initiatives
- At least 2 years of managing and growing other Product Designers.
- A bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI or related field. A master's degree is considered a plus.
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. Successful candidates will have experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of the latest design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Sketch + Invision App, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Comfortable in both leader and follower roles.
- Experience with designing for multiple form factors (desktop, mobile, tablet) and modalities (touch, voice, keyboard/mouse) considered a big plus.
- A great portfolio available for review.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- An encouraging parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top