Come Join Us
Come work in an exciting environment in which you’ll use your passion, experience, and strong analytical skills to help bring new technologies to public safety and leave a positive impact on the world. We cultivate an environment that favors agility, initiative, and creative thinking. Our mission is to protect life, making the world a safer place through smart devices and software services. We genuinely love what we do and are looking for others who share this passion.
What is the opportunity?
This is an unusual and rare opportunity to have your work make a huge impact on public safety and drive positive changes in society through technology, and we are just getting started. You will be part of a tight-knit, interdisciplinary design team that is in the early stages of defining how we design products at Axon. You will have the opportunity to impact all aspects of the design process and the business; including product, marketing and branding.
What about the day-to-day?
You will lead a small group of designers in your product area, be a leader with a point of view, and a strategic partner to Product Management and Engineering. On any given day you may find yourself working in the field with law enforcement, crafting our design strategy, leading critique with your team, interviewing new designers, or defining the future of our human interface guidelines.
What do we value in design?
We value curiosity, insightfulness, passion, empathy, attention to detail, teamwork and group critique. We are people who work to impact products and the people who use them.
What is the design team working on?
At Axon, we are building one of the largest cloud solutions on the planet! Not only are we building at scale, with your solution being used around the globe, our solutions enhance policing and communities. Your work will have global impact.
This position will allow you to re-think how things have been done for decades, inventing the future of connected devices (IoT) and the cloud in an industry that impacts everyone.
The projects are new, the teams are small, we need a principal designer to flesh out the ideas, the scope, the range of our solution. To help us craft what we've been imagining and desire to build.
Here are a few of our current projects:
* In-car and on-officer computing
* Re-thinking record keeping and reporting in law enforcement
* The most amazing office space in Seattle
* Real time event coverage and mapping
* Case building and management
* Large scale administration of people and devices
* Awesome stickers, patches, pins and magnets
* Sharing evidence with prosecutors and public defenders
* Event re-creation
* Making vinyl car wraps for demo vehicles
- Lead and define design direction in your product area
- Be an ambassador and champion for design culture at Axon
- Provide mentorship for junior designers and interns
- Collaborate with other design leads to ensure great customer experiences across all of our products
- Pitch products, feature ideas and executions
- Execute field research with domestic and overseas law enforcement agencies and transform that research into practical, scalable solutions
- Collaborate across feature and product teams to get to the right solution for our customers
- Contribute to the defining of the product design process at Axon
- Research design trends, customer behavior, competition and current technologies
- Turn complex interactions into simple experience solutions
- Create elegant, beautiful and simple designs from wire frames to final visual mock-ups
- BS or greater in media arts field or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience and minimum 3-4 years leading design teams
- Experience with every stage of the design process, including: sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups and specifications for engineers
- Highly skilled knowledge of modern design tools
- Strong eye for design - including interaction, interface, and visual design
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your decisions in a way that anyone can understand
- A real passion for new technology and how it can be applied to have real impact
- Enthusiasm for an iterative design process, motivated by group critique
- Able to function independently and in a team environment
- Inspired to learn from and teach the people you work with
Compensation and Benefits
- Bonus plan
- Stock options
- Supportive parental leave policy
- Unlimited paid-time-off
- Commuter options
- Stocked kitchen
- Awarded 14th best place to work in the state of Washington and the geekiest office space in Seattle
- Opportunities to ride along with real US police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, and get inspired.
- And much more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.