Principal Data Architect, Axon Records and Data Platform
- Seattle, WA
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As one of the early engineering leaders on the team, you will make key design decisions that will shape this product. You’ll design and create the data integration, management, and analytics platform alongside Axon’s newest public safety technology products. This platform will offer law enforcement administrators and crime analysts flexible access to key crime data, decision support, state and federal crime reports, and criminal investigation insights.
Axon has lead the global effort to protect life and through through electric weapons, body cameras, a number of realtime sensors, public safety software products and AI tools. Axon is uniquely positioned to tie together every aspect of an incident in order to help law enforcement agencies better prepare for what might happen, respond efficiently and effectively, deliver justice, ensure the wellbeing of their officers, and increase the safety of their communities. Working together with our customers and product teams, you will build the foundation for Axon’s outcome-oriented data efforts.
- Architect, develop, and maintain Axon’s system integration, data processing and storage, and analytics solutions.
- Develop and maintain automated APIs and ETL pipelines that support Axon's product development and evolution at scale.
- Develop and maintain data warehouse and data lake metadata, data catalog, and user documentation.
- Develop data objects for business analytics using data modeling techniques.
- Partner with internal teams and agencies to make public safety data accessible and actionable.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, engineering, or other quantitative field.
- Highly technical with 7+ years of experience developing and maintaining end-to-end, high availability, high throughput web-scale data systems (e.g. Social, AdTech, MarTech, Heathcare, FinTech, etc.).
- You write the code to design, develop, prototype, and maintain products
- Recent hands-on implementation experience required, preferably in Hadoop Ecosystem (Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Hive, Oozie, Zookeeper, Avro, HCatalog, Hue, etc.), realtime streaming event logs (e.g. Kafka, SNS/SQS), databasing (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), SQL on Hadoop (Spark SQL, Hive, etc.), NoSQL (MongoDB, HBase, Cassandra, DynamoDB), and scheduling and management (Oozie, Cascading, Zookeeper, etc.)
- You influence your peers, advise senior leaders, coach and mentor junior team members.
- You facilitate cross-team collaboration among engineers and contribute to the broader community of senior engineers.
- Must pass a Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background check and maintain confidential and highly sensitive information.
- Masters Degree in CS, engineering, or other quantitative field.
- Experience building and managing MAPR systems.
- Experience creating and maintaining containerized web applications and serverless components.
- Familiarity with build and CI tools/processes like Kubernetes, TeamCity, Azure DevOps, etc.
- Experience using statistical programming languages (e.g. Python, R) and to deliver results for real-world problems.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top