Engineering Manager, AI and Machine Learning
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. In the next 10 years, we’ll triple the amount of time officers can spend serving their communities. In the next 20, we’ll eliminate paperwork in policing so that officers can focus on what matters. And in the next 50 years, we’ll make the bullet obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As the leading provider of technology for law enforcement and public safety, Axon is using the state-of-the-art of AI and machine learning to save lives (literally!). The challenges are enormous, yet the opportunity exciting and energizing. Footage from body worn cameras and in-car footage is no ImageNet, or even a Youtube-8M for that matter. The domain is relatively unconstrained. Speech recognition when the microphone is in a noisy environment and the speaker is farther and is not speaking for machine comprehension is a much more challenging task. We have a group of world class research scientists and engineers who are tackling these problems. You would be joining to lead the engineering team that build the infrastructure to enable our machine learning workflow on petabytes of data.
The impact of our work is immense. Unlike most ML research in industry, the success of your models directly impacts the status quo of transparency and accountability in law enforcement.
We're building a team that spans diversity of all kinds, which we think is critical in our mission to bring officers and the communities they serve closer together. If this is something you care about, we would love to have you join us.
In this role you will:
- Architect ML pipelines and technically leading a team of engineers and researchers.
- Manage a team of software engineers and research engineers located in Seattle and NYC.
- Build automation for ML models from experimentation to production on large quantities of data across distributed environments.
- See that generalizable parts of your work get open-sourced.
You have experience with:
- Leading teams building robust backend systems.
- Bias for action, and are able to lead your team to focus on execution.
- Ability to energize a team, bring clarity, and deliver results following milestones.
- Distilling your people and team management practices into a set of models and principles that you regularly verbalize, apply, and improve.
- Establishing trust with senior leaders by aligning your priorities with theirs, providing timely, accurate, and succinct status updates, and helping other teams when needed.
- Mentoring .junior and senior engineers, helping them understand themselves, influence others, and advance towards their career goals
- Implementing an engineering process that emphasized security, availability, scalability, and operational discipline.
- High Performance Computing, Cloud Infrastructures, and GPU optimization.
- Good understanding of the complete workflow from collecting and annotating the appropriate data for the task at hand to training models and evaluating their performance.
Compensation and Benefits
- An awesome office/working environment with the newest technology
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package
- Fun team activities and outings
- Flexible working hours
- Options for training in the US
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top