Director, Corporate Communications
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. In the next 10 years, we’ll triple the amount of time officers can spend serving their communities. In the next 20, we’ll eliminate paperwork in policing so that officers can focus on what matters. And in the next 50 years, we’ll make the bullet obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
We'll put video footage at the heart of the justice system so courts move with more efficiency and accuracy. We’ll eliminate paperwork in policing through AI automation so that officers can focus on what matters. And we're pouring incredible resources into less-lethal R&D technology until we make the bullet obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we pursue relentlessly every day. And because it's bold and unprecedented, we're under attack from competitors, short sellers, opportunistic lawyers and media outlets regularly. We're a category leader, a tech disruptor and we wade into controversial waters to help tackle societal issues that have caused other companies and government entities to pull back. But we've helped save almost 200,000 lives so far and know our mission is worth the friction it creates. We need a fearless and strategic communications champion with the mettle to take on challenges at this level and thrive.
The Communications Team is responsible for sharing this vision and protecting the reputation of the Axon brand among external target audiences. The Director, Corporate Communications will be responsible for helping build and reinforce the Axon brand and building awareness for the Axon technology used by police forces around the world. You have a passion for storytelling in a fast-paced environment and will be responsible for providing timely strategic communications counsel to all levels of the organization, including senior leaders. Located in Scottsdale, AZ, this position reports to Axon's Vice President of Global Communications
Your Day to Day
- Provides strategic communications expertise and guidance to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensures consistency of company narrative for internal and external communications.
- Recognizes and can adjust to the 24/7 nature of corporate and reputation management communications.
- Drives media placements, including outreach to top-tier media, trade and bloggers.
- Builds and nurtures relationships with key media contacts.
- Writes and edits corporate communication materials, including press releases, press kits, video scripts and executive speeches.
- Proactively develops ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews and other PR activities that promote awareness of company initiatives and products.
- Supports media training for internal leads to act as appropriate company representatives in media interviews.
- Serves as a company spokesperson when appropriate.
- Supports issues and crisis mitigation planning and management.
- Develops preparedness plans for potential and/or emerging issues affecting the business and/or brand.
- Initiates analyses of issues that might impact the Company, and develops and executes proactive and reactive plans for issues management.
- Executes rapid response communications strategies, adjusting priorities to manage new and emerging issues and situations both internal and external to the organization.
- Degree in Communication, Journalism or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in corporate communication, media relations and/or public relations.
- Spokesperson experience, as well as experience fielding media requests and handling crisis/issues communications and brand reputation management.
- Working knowledge of local and national media landscape.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple demands while appropriately prioritizing responsibilities.
- Ability to produce high-quality communication deliverables for any of the following: Press Releases, Media Statements, Executive Speeches, News/Feature Stories, Op-Eds, Blog Posts, Briefings.
- Ability to interact with high-level executives and other team members across the organization.
- Superlative written and verbal communications skills.
- Willing to travel 15%, including international.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package
- Discretionary PTO
- Fun team activities and outings
- Flexible working hours
- Options for training in the US
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top