Attorney Development Associate
Axiom is seeking an Attorney Development Associate to join our Attorney Development team in our New York office.
Axiom is a recognized leader in the business of law - growing faster than anyone in the industry. We’re comprised of over 1,500 passionate Axiomites who serve over half the Fortune 100 across 16 offices and 5 centers of excellence globally (and counting).
The Financial Times ranked Axiom #1 in business of law, #1 in innovation in corporate strategy and #1 in innovation in law firm efficiency, while The New York Times said Axiom is “rewriting the law firm business model.”
The Attorney Development team in New York is responsible for the onboarding, readiness, relationship management, performance management, and professional development of our 300 New York-based Axiom attorneys (and counting!). The team partners closely and strategically with the sales functions to ensure that the composition of the New York attorney population meets the demand from clients, and that our lawyers fully realize the unique and compelling career experience and opportunities at Axiom.
A key member of the Attorney Development team, the Attorney Development Associate is a committed talent manager, who will offer ongoing coaching and guidance to lawyers throughout their Axiom career. A pivotal commercial role within the New York office, the Attorney Development Associate will help Axiom achieve its growth ambitions by acting as a steward of attorney talent, and a supporter of sales and client development efforts. This is an ideal opportunity for an HR Professional, Talent Manager, or Employee Relations Specialist who is looking to further develop their skills in an increasingly commercial role and directly support the growth of Axiom’s largest market, New York.
The Lawyer Development Associate will:
• Serve as one of the main relationship managers within Axiom for New York’s attorney community – overseeing everything from employee administration/HRIS to performance management and professional development. Partner cross-functionally with the global HR organisation on high-risk, complex HR issues;
• Conduct regular check-ins with Axiom lawyers to gauge interest, performance and overall satisfaction in their work and overall Axiom career, as well as to communicate regular performance feedback from clients;
• Deliver commercial, pragmatic and timely support to the sales team by identifying and problem-solving any attorney-related issues with commercial implications;
• Develop a deep understanding of the skills, practice areas and industry experience of Axiom lawyers, including becoming an authority on the state of the legal market; and
• Set an example as the face of our brand; building a community of values-focused (thoughtful, fresh, committed, and irresistible) legal professionals on a mission to change our industry.
First and foremost, successful candidates must be a fit for Axiom’s unique operating environment and culture: high-growth, innovative, and values-driven. As such, successful candidates must be highly capable in each of the following dimensions (among others): adaptability, curiosity, resourcefulness, analytical thinking/problem solving, proactivity, taking initiative, teamwork, thought leadership, credibility, and operating with/through a lean team.
This particular position is for someone who loves to facilitate the success of others, exhibits outstanding judgment and professionalism, possesses excellent analytical skills and is a natural business partner and trusted advisor to sophisticated lawyers and the sales teams.
Beyond these characteristics, here are the required skills, knowledge, capabilities, and education:
• Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier university, 3-5 years of experience within a professional services firm, ideally in an HR Professional, Employee Relations Specialist, Talent Manager or equivalent role;
• Demonstrable ability to effectively coach, mentor, teach and develop others and determine continued employee fit, ability and commitment to the Axiom model;
• The poise and maturity to interact with senior level, highly experienced lawyers and/or clients, including the confidence and sensitivity to deliver tough or constructive feedback;
• Critical thinking and creative problem solving skills. Ability to analyze employee data and derive key insights, and assist with change management;
• High-level organizational skills, together with the ability to operate in an often high-pressured and fast-paced environment;
• Highly proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Excel and PowerPoint); and
• Commitment to innovation and efficiency, specifically within the legal services area, with a demonstrable interest in the Axiom model and the changing legal landscape.
Successful candidates must also demonstrate our values:
• Committed: We love the company we’re building with undignified enthusiasm. We’re committed to our mission, our clients and our people. We celebrate our successes, learn from our failures and find opportunity in adversity.
• Fresh: We exist to inject new energy and new thinking into a precedent-bound profession. We combine innovation, personality and logic in a way that invigorates our clients and our colleagues.
• Irresistible: There’s a certain inevitability to Axiom and our business model, which makes it irresistible to clients. What’s more, we surround ourselves with talented people who have a contagious energy and incurable passion.
• Thoughtful: We pride ourselves on listening and relating to our colleagues and clients in a way that’s genuine, human and memorable. We take a consultative approach; work with our clients to help solve business problems. And we care about the little things.
We’re passionate about our company; we get a nerdy excitement from what we do. Why work with us? Here are a few reasons:
• Growth: We maintain a tremendously compelling growth trajectory, despite our age and size.
• Innovation: From professional services to SaaS solutions, we’re an award-winning innovator. Axiomites thrive on solving problems that have never been solved.
• Opportunity: We’re the market-leading disruptor within the world’s second largest services economy.
• Development: Business is never “as usual” at Axiom. That kind of environment offers unparalleled opportunities for problem solving, leadership, and professional growth.
• People/Values: Ask any Axiomite “Why Axiom?” and their answer is guaranteed to include our people and values. Over 15 years, we’ve hired not only the industry’s most talented team, but a global family sharing fundamental values.
Back to top