Head of Data
You mission will be to shape and lead a world-class data organization at Axial that helps the entire company make smarter decisions and which innovates new data products for the users of Axial’s online marketplace.
You will be managing a team currently consisting of a data scientist, data engineer and data analyst. You will manage the quality, integrity and stability of Axial’s data and data infrastructure. While Axial’s data volume is smaller than a mass-market consumer product, it is mission-critical to our success and comes with fascinating challenges. Axial is still a startup, and with that in mind, this role will be a mix of execution and management (in other words, you have to like getting your hands dirty, while designing scalable approaches).
Currently, Axial uses data to understand the health of our online network, run predictive analytics, track key goals and benchmarks, and optimize our sales and marketing tactics. The data team builds and tests internal data tools to help Axial’s business units make informed decisions, operate more efficiently and become more self-sufficient around data. The team also helps the CEO and executives with strategic projects.
Skills & Attributes
- The ability to bridge the technical, the analytical, and the strategic
- Deep experience working with data and an expert understanding of statistics, while possessing an understanding of data’s power and limitations
- Creative problem solver with vision for how data can solve strategic challenges
- A product-oriented mind that thinks about empowering others with tools and processes for harnessing data
- An exceptional communicator, both written and verbal
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and stakeholders
- Strong team leader who can nurture and develop a team, and attract new talent
- Highly collaborative with co-workers at all levels and parts of an organization
- 8+ years of experience in data-focused and analytical roles, including implementing new data platforms
- A technical degree with the ability to manage and mentor a technical team
- MBA or a master's degree in Information Management (or similar) highly preferred
- Hands-on experience with tools such as R, Tableau, and data warehouse platforms like Redshift
- Expert SQL and Python skills
Back to top