Director of Business Development (Investment Banks)
Axial is the premier online professional network connecting buyers, investors and lenders in the middle market to companies that want to raise capital or sell. Based in New York City, Axial is backed by pre-eminent venture capital firms and recently raised its series C round. This role is focused on maximizing the success and engagement of top investment bank boutiques, who play a vital role in the deal on our network.
Your mission will be to develop partnerships with middle-market boutique investment banks, helping them win business and close deals. You will develop a targeted list of firms with the goals of aligning our mutual interests, activating them on the Axial platform, and increasing their engagement. Some of these firms will be existing members of Axial, but most will need to be identified and developed by you. This is a very hands-on role: you will consider goals and needs of both sides; develop, execute and iterate tactical action plans; and rally the diverse resources of Axial to help you, including influencing product, pricing and marketing decisions. You will be measured on the number of investment banking boutiques who are active on the Axial platform, and the level of sell-side activity of those firms.
Skills & Attributes
- Capable of engaging and influencing senior bankers to take action and try something new
- Significant practitioner-based exposure to the deal business and understanding of the role and psychology of the high-touch middle market investment banker
- Impeccable communication capabilities and instincts, knowing when formality in appearance and speech is appropriate and when a more familiar approach is called for
- Sales-like ability to identify, qualify, open up, develop and continually engage target firms
- Self-starter and independent thinker with significant personal ambition and urgency to make a large business impact for our investment banker community and for Axial in 2017 and beyond
- KPI-driven thinking and decision making
- Ultra-ethical, disciplined work ethic, committed to continuous personal self-improvement
- An enduring curiosity and true desire to help this community succeed
- 5+ years of work experience
- Experience as an associate at a boutique M&A investment bank, or a top-tier strategy consulting firm
- Experience selling to and advising senior executives/business leaders
- Ideal candidates have done business development in a startup environment, especially if banking experience was only at the analyst level
- Experience with private equity community a plus
- MBA welcome but not required if compensated by work experience
Meet Some of Axial's Employees
Member Success Manager
It's Caitlin's responsibility to guide clients through investment banking and inbound marketing deals. She communicates clients' needs across Axial Teams to match members with the best investors.
Back to top