Software Engineer, Robotics and Machine Learning
- San Francisco, CA
Job Requisition ID #
Software Engineer, Robotics and Machine Learning Location: San Francisco, CA- United States Job ID: 20WD40461 Position Overview
Thework we do at Autodesk gets to touch nearly every person on the planet. By creating software tools for making buildings, machines, and even the latest movie, we get to influence and empower some of the most creative people in the world to solve problems that matter.
The Autodesk Robotics Lab is exploring the future of robotics in manufacturing, architecture, construction, and media production. The Lab looks for new ways to apply 3D design tools, machine learning, and emerging technologies to advance the field of robotics.
You will join a small team of designers, architects, and engineers exploring what's important and interesting to the future of robotics. We work closely with other research teams at Autodesk - such as the Autodesk AI Lab, generative design teams, and Autodesk Technology Centers - to prototype and validate new methods of automation. Our lab is adjacent to the technology center in San Francisco, with access to rapid prototyping and manufacturing tools.
Your work will play an integral part of our research efforts to make robots accessible to our customers at scale. This job entails system design and engineering for an extensible platform. You will be integrating many different subsystems (and in some cases building these subsystems), from low level device integration, plugin machine learning components, to high level visual authoring tool modules. Specifically, planning and developing a software system to support cloud-based robotics with browser-based authoring tools, machine learning pipelines and deployments, and device integration. You will collaborate with team members, members of other teams and customers in producing quality deliverables in an efficient manner. As an expert in software engineering and managing complex systems, you will leverage your deep domain expertise within the team to contribute to ongoing robotics research.
- Develop high quality, secure, stable code making it easier for other developers to maintain, enhance, and reuse
- Apply continuous attention to technical excellence and good design, resulting in a straightforward solution and reducing complexity
- Design and implement excellent system extensibility
- Design and implement excellent user experience
- Write and present code design specifications
- Ensure authored code conforms to established coding standards and meets design specification
- Maintain, troubleshoot and debug code, as required.
- Test newly developed features to ensure they are functioning properly
- Understand and embrace Agile methodologies
- Deliver working software frequently
- Work with Sr Researchers to understand and help refine functional requirements and have a clear understanding of what the definition of "done" is
- Continually refine one's own understanding with others about high- and low-level technical details, functional goals, and user needs
- Break down a large problem into smaller components and provide a clear solution for each piece
- Minimize the amount of work required to implement a sufficient solution
- Develop documents and diagrams to outline relationships between subsystems and participate in reviews of those designs
- Conduct effective architecture reviews to verify that it achieves the desired quality attributes, such as security, scalability and resilience
- Investigate and prototype technologies and algorithms relating to the architecture
- Be a technology leader-consult and shape development plans by estimating task difficulty and effort
- Build relationships with other research and product groups
- Contact, when necessary, hardware/sensor manufacturers. Determine potential interfaces to the robotics system
- Prepare and present to Autodesk management and at conferences, both internal and external
- Create and identify patent-worthy technology and participate in the patent application process
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Robotics,Mechatronics, or related field
- Strong software architecture skills, in particular, experiencebuilding large, complex software systems
- Curiosity, flexibility, and comfort with ambiguity
- Willingness to engage with potential customers to explore use cases
- Professional work experience converting business requirements into a technical application and systems design
- Broad knowledge of development tools and programming languages, understanding their appropriate application
- Knowledge of modern development practices, such as Agile
- Professional work experience working with 3D game engines
- Handson experiencewith industrial robots
- Experience with machine vision and sensors
- Experience authoring device drivers for robots and sensors
- Experience with front-end development for web services, for example working with React
- Familiarity with robotics control methods and machine learning approaches to perception and control
- Experience with closed-loop control systems and algorithms
- Experience with Industrial Robot programming languages and software packages
- Experience with ROS, ISAAC, or other robot simulation platforms
- Experience with CAD, simulation, and computational design software
- Experience with microcontrollers and embedded computing
The Ideal Candidate
- Self-directed but enjoys working in a small, close-knit team
- Constantly learning about and experimenting with new technologies
- Enjoys working on a broad variety of projects
- Motivated by the promise of technology being an enabler for positive change
At Autodesk, we're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Are you an existing contractor or consultant with Autodesk? Please search for open jobs and apply internally (not on this external site). If you have any questions or require support, contact Autodesk Careers .
Back to top