Director of Product
- Reedley, CA
Job Requisition ID #
As a Director of Product Management at Autodesk Construction Solutions (ACS), you will lead a team of Group Product Managers (GPM) responsible for managing Product Lines within a Center of Excellence (COE) for the ACS business. Each Center of Excellence has responsibility for R&D delivery and go-to-market (GTM) execution for its product lines. The COE is led by Director level counterparts in Design and Engineering, forming a Trifecta that provides cross-functional leadership support to successfully build a core ASC business with revenue and customer adoption targets. The Director of Product Management reports into a product leader on the ACS Executive Leadership team.
ACS promotes strong Ownership Culture at all levels for R&D delivery. To build a robust Ownership Culture throughout the R&D organization means we need to push ownership of strategy and roadmap commitments as close to the delivery owners as possible. When people make their own commitments, they are more likely to have an accurate scope (the people closest to delivery are best able to define what is possible) and to feel personal ownership in achieving those commitments. The COE PM is the highest level product leader in managing this process, and therefore owns the implementation of Ownership Culture for GPMs and PMs across the ASC Product Lifecycle Process.
Product Managers at ACS sit at the intersection of software development, design, and business strategy. PMs shape high-level product goals but also get their hands dirty. On an average day you might pitch a concept to senior leadership, create a launch plan with marketing, work with designers to conduct user research, prototype a new feature, iterate on a spec, analyze usage data, and pair with an engineer on implementation. PMs have ultimate responsibility for understanding our client needs, influencing business strategy, feature specification, and working with engineering to develop our software. The Director of PM ensures that all the above is met by GPMs and PMs within their COE.
The ACS Product Lifecycle Process includes 3 stages: Vision, Planning and Execution. Post product launch, the COE Product leader will help GPMs manage products to engagement and product health metrics that meet COE usage and monetization goals. Product Management at the COE level therefore includes the responsibilities listed below.
- Collaborating with COE counterparts in Design and Engineering as well as with GPMs to articulate clear and actionable goals for market space R&D delivery and GTM execution
- Leading GPMs to formulate a Product Line Strategy (PLS) and propose what product lines are necessary to win in a market space
- Developing a product and technical vision for "how we win"
- Developing Internal Press Releases that articulate customer value from a customer-centric view
- Coordinating across Design and Engineering for robust cross-functional commitment
- Ensuring GPMs include PMs, Designers and Engineers in the PLS process so that final commitments represent full Trifecta buy-in
- Selling PLS cross-functionally within the organization (Sales, Marketing, Support, Finance, Legal) to ensure total organization buy-in
- Resource planning and budgeting with Executive Leadership for the COE roadmap
- Leading GPMs to set realistic timelines/milestones to succeed against the relevant PLS recommendations
- Leading GPMs to coordinate with marketing on full GTM planning
- Negotiating resource needs and budgeting across product line Initiatives
- Owning and managing to a budget across Group level efforts
- Overseeing or running the hiring process for PMs and GPMs to meet resource needs
- Tracking and managing Group level execution to ensure R&D Delivery success
- Weekly Group Level meetings to track Initiative progress against cross-functional aligned PLS goals
- Addressing resource and scope changes as they arise to ensure successful delivery
- Communicating COE level progress to Executive Leadership and escalating intervention as needed to achieve Group level goals
- Coordinating with Marketing to ensure GTM messaging and sales enablement for product line success
- Set up PM organization for a COE, including leveling employees, identifying skill gaps, hiring and on-boarding GPMs as needed
- Develop and grow leadership talent through effective mentoring, coaching, succession planning and retention strategies for key talent in a fast growth, highly competitive economic environment
- Develop and manage to a budget with COE co-leads
- Own and execute against a market area that creates value for construction enterprise administrators, executives and field workers
- Own COE level product strategy and communicate the vision, roadmap, and goals for all product lines
- Champion COE level goals internally with Executive Leadership and externally with customers and partners
- Prioritize potential initiatives through demonstrating their alignment with our business strategy and the value to our current or future users
- Communicate that prioritization to other stakeholders in the company and drive consensus on the path forward
- Work closely with engineering, design, and business team members on business cases, product requirements, development, launch, and adoption
- Understand ACS' strategic position and deliver innovative products that align with this strategy
- Manage a team 9 consisting of GPMs and PMs to work with our customers to unearth pain points and understand their most pressing needs
- Communicate with the rest of the company the how and why for product lines
- Believe in Ownership Culture and empowering teams to define their vision and be accountable for their execution
- 10+ years of product management experience, ideally having managed product lines through multiple release cycles with demonstrable market outcomes
- Have hired, on-boarded and managed "managers of managers" for the product function, including leveling, performance feedback and mentoring
- Experience working with Sales, Marketing and Support on full go-to-market coordination
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Passion for solving our customers' problems in the construction space
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to build strong data-driven arguments, prioritize with business strategy in mind, and evangelize Initiatives to build consensus within the organization
- Ability to deliver comprehensive roadmaps on-time
- Experience working at an enterprise software company that is building SaaS products is a plus
About Autodesk Construction Solutions
Autodesk has fully reimagined the construction business for the digital age, enabling companies to address the most important challenges they face today while preparing for new ways of working in the future. The Autodesk Construction Solutions (ACS) portfolio connects the office, trailer and field so customers can move seamlessly through each phase of a building's lifecycle - from design and preconstruction to construction, turnover and operations - with best-in-class solutions that include Assemble Systems, BIM 360, BuildingConnected and PlanGrid. General contractors, subcontractors, and owners around the world rely on ACS to win more work, enhance collaboration, speed decision-making, reduce risk, and improve overall project outcomes.
At Autodesk, we're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to imagine, design, and make a better world. Autodesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We also consider for employment all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Are you an existing contractor or consultant with Autodesk? Please search for open jobs and apply internally (not on this external site). If you have any questions or require support, contact Autodesk Careers .
Back to top