Director of Indirect Tax
- Newark, NJ
ABOUT THE ROLE
Audible is seeking support for non-US indirect tax compliance and change management. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and executing a global indirect tax compliance program that takes into account growing Electronically Supplied Services rules and minimizes manual work, for a fast-growing organization with multiple legal entities globally filing indirect taxes. This role requires excellent communication and presentation skills (both written and oral) as well as expert understanding of and fluency in Indirect Tax compliance best practices, from a holistic perspective.
Audible and Amazon work strategically, anticipating trends to fully adapt our Teams to changes, in a scalable, automated and effective manner. You will address change requests for systems configuration, and testing changes for final sign-off, and develop additional checks and data reconciliation methodologies for quality assurance and audit readiness.
A key component of this role will be coordinating work and deliverables across Audible and Amazon teams. An awareness of the evolving world of technology solutions (e.g. Workday, Oracle, Comply First Time) as well as creativity and passion for process and quality improvements and collaboration will be key. The successful candidate has a proven track record of implementing ITX compliance including working with disparate systems and diving deep into data underlying the required compliance.
This person will be able to manage projects efficiently and independently and work with Technical Project Managers ("TPM") responsible for disparate systems, and will be comfortable in a role as overall project manager for ITX change management. The ideal candidate is able to fully manage the ITX function with support from internal Accounting counterparts, accounting firms, Amazon ITX Compliance Team and using technology, and is able to build effective working relationships inside and outside of the organization.
This person will also be responsible for capturing ITX metrics and detailed narratives around fluctuations and ITX impacts arising from business changes. The role will have dual reporting, with a direct reporting into Audible - Accounting and dotted line into Amazon Tax.
• Maintain documentation of end-to-end indirect tax compliance processes and procedures in coordination with requirements from Audible Accounting and Amazon Tax, including SOX requirements.
• Calculating Indirect Taxes, filing appropriate returns and arranging for payments with local payment managers where required.
• Responsible for providing information and documentation to Amazon counterparts for the Indirect Taxes calculation, payment and reporting.
• Provide data to Amazon counterparts to assist in audit responses (both ITX and US Sales and Use Tax).
• Review data to identify opportunities to streamline indirect tax processes & payments.
• Maintain effective relationships with external advisors and partners at Amazon who are required to complete filing and payment of taxes.
• Effectively work with local Accounting teams across multiple geographies to obtain data supportive of filings and to provide for audit readiness where necessary.
• Ability to strategize accordingly to each business' maturity and regulatory needs of a particular market, with a clear sensibility of the differences.
• Coordinate among various functional teams (e.g. tech, business, accounting) to evaluate and implement approaches to indirect tax change including the impact to our customers and content providers, and potential policy opportunities.
• Work with tax technology and IT teams to determine automated solutions to compliance processes and assist with implementation.
• Develop documentation of the end-to-end process for change management including decision making and implementation of the changes.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
• 7 or more years of work experience including indirect tax experience, including work with systems, cross functional teams, and data analysis.
• Strong systems knowledge including Excel, Word, and ERP skills.
• Project management skills.
• CPA or equivalent.
• Excellent planning, time management, and coordination skills, including ability to clearly define tasks and decisions needed, and create clear written documentation.
• Excellent communication skills - possesses ability to engage others; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; actively leads meetings.
• Ability to coordinate multiple concurrent projects and tasks; able to define priorities, deliver results and communicate timeline changes and impacts.
• Ability to dive deep and determine root causes of issues and define path to green actions with impacted business partners.
• Ability for self-assessment, to think innovatively and creatively, to disrupt and reinvent and change course if necessary, to achieve desired results. Ability to rapidly synthesize diverse information from multiple sources, present evaluations and summarize key findings precisely and succinctly, to create deeper business value in ways that significantly contribute towards learnings and decision-making at the executive level.
• Strong understanding of typical compliance processes and impacts to the wider organization e.g. impacts to input credits, Financial Statements, FAS-5 accruals, customer and vendor impacts.
• Ability to work backwards as new methodologies are developed and to prioritize work that results in measurable impact for our customers (internal and external).
• Experience leveraging accounting firms or work within accounting firms to submit filings; experience directly filing via government portals.
• Prior experience working at a large multinational company.
• Prior experience at a Big 4 public accounting firm.
• Use of Workday and Comply First Time a plus.
• CPA or equivalent.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top