EG-Principal Cloud Capacity Planner
Watching video, whether on a TV or any other device, is one of the most popular activities among people of all ages. A form of communication and creativity like no other, video is a window to the rest of the world. It allows people to share experiences, ideas and emotions, and it can literally change our lives.
The explosion of mobile devices has brought a new exciting landscape that has changed and continues to change how people enjoy and share video content. Video traffic over the Internet continues to grow and it will account for the vast majority of the overall traffic, including wireless traffic, in the next few years. At AT&T we are leveraging our extensive networks and the experience of our engineering and product teams to lead this change.
The AT&T's Entertainment Group's (AEG) engineering team is responsible for designing, implementing and deploying the software and supporting infrastructure that power our video services, including the DIRECTV online and satellite TV platforms. Our software gives millions of people access to their favorite content at home and on the go and it is constantly evolving while we look for ways to improve the efficiency and scalability of our systems.
As an architect in the Software Operability team you will be able to do the following things:
- Build our new generation video platform by tackling complex problems such as performance optimization, scalability, high availability and operational readiness
- Working in a cross-functional team you will be exposed to all of these aspects of software development and architecture
- Set software operability guidelines for any third-party custom integrations or plugins. Work with various architects and third-party vendors to adhere to the guidelines.
- At times you will work with small teams to build software
- You will evangelize best practices that ensure our platform remains operable and flexible, or work side by side with support team and architects on coming up with ways to improve incident response times, define SLAs and increase visibility into the performance of our software and infrastructure, and much more
If you are a software architect with systems background who, in addition to writing code, is interested in what it takes to build and run software at scale in production, this is a good opportunity to demonstrate your skills.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of experience in backend, database, caching, and distributed systems frameworks, with 3 years of Unix/Linux system level experience
- Working knowledge of object oriented programming
- Experience in performance engineering for large scale systems
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and troubleshooting skills, with strong interpersonal skills to collaborate without guidance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate technical issues and solutions to all levels of the organization
- Experience with C++, Java, Python, Go or other programming languages
- Very good command of C++, Java, Python or Go
- Solid experience building production services
- Experience in Broadcast Television, Video-On-Demand, Pay Per View, Over-The-Top
- Experience with cloud technologies and services, preferably Amazon AWS
- Experience with containerization technologies, preferably Docker
- Experience with big data technologies, preferably Hadoop, Nifi, Spark
Meet Some of AT&T's Employees
Architect, Entertainment Group
As a cloud architect, Aaron builds and designs different cloud environments that enable video processing. His work helps customers get whichever channels they want, on whatever device they require.
Back to top