CAN/LAN Tier III Engineer - (Government Support)
Job Description: Installs, configures, and supports an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), NRO's Internet Network, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system. Maintains network hardware and software. Monitors network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability. May supervise other network support and client server specialists and plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures. Oversees network control centers. Provides support to projects that involve networks. Evaluates new network technologies and makes recommendations to project managers regarding
the integration of these technologies into the existing network. Plans new network configurations and integration into existing networks to maintain optimal performance.
Ensures that plans for hardware and communications are adequate. Develops and implements methodologies for analysis, installation and support of voice communications systems. Provides support in the translation of business requirements into telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video) requirements, designs and orders.
• Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components. Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
• Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
• Monitor the performance of computer systems and networks
• Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
• Configure, and test hardware, networking software and operating system software.
• Prepare technical proposals for presentation to the NRO's engineering review boards for adding new technologies to the network.
• Perform a full range of upgrades in accordance with existing network architecture.
• Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements.
• Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution.
• Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network.
• Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
• Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
• Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles. Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure.
• Maintain logs and records associated with reported problems or situations.
• Execute reporting functions and data input associated with network management.
• Monitor security posture of the network, report suspected violations to designated authority.
• Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams.
• Perform operator-level maintenance on components for network management systems
• Analyze network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes, and throughput); recommend procurement, removals, and modifications to network components.
• Optimize network topologies and site configurations. Plan installations, transitions, and cutovers of network components and capabilities.
• Coordinate requirements with users and suppliers.
• Organize and direct network installations on site surveys.
• Assess and document current site network configuration and user requirements.
• Maintain operating systems, communications software, data base packages, compilers, assemblers, and utility programs.
• Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification,
development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications.
• Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards - such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application.
• Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions.
Required Skills, Experience, and Education : Candidate must have 16 years of experience that can be a combination of work history and education. This equates to a Doctorate and 8 years of experience OR Masters and 10 years, Bachelors and 12 years, Associates and 14 years or HS and 16 years.
Required Clearance: Active TS/SCI, with CI Poly.
Desired: 8570 Certification
Back to top