Senior Front End Developer - HipChat
In the past few years HipChat has become the chat tool loved by Whole Foods, Wired, NASA, WebMD, and thousands of other great companies. We've been shipping features like crazy but need people to help us take it to the next level.
Huge impact - Thousands of the brightest teams rely on HipChat to bring their companies together and get work done. You'll be designing, building, and shipping features that they'll love.
Independence - We're hiring great people and letting them do what they do best. No handholding or micromanaging. Plus, we actually use our 20% time and ShipIt days to build cool stuff.
Atlassian helps teams everywhere change the world through the power of software. We are looking for a front end developer to build and enhance HipChat's web client. You will also support and enhance its integration into HipChat's popular Mac, Windows, and Linux desktop clients. You will be supported by robust backend systems, mature protocols, and an experienced team with a strong desire to build the best chat and collaboration platform on the market. Think NASA launching the Rover on Mars or Cochlear gifting children born deaf with the ability to hear, your work directly impacts the products they use to advance humanity. You'll need a solid technical prowess with incredible coding ability across a diverse set of languages and technologies. You will thrive on the ability to work under pressure.
What you do
- Develop functionality for HipChat's web client plus its integration into HipChat's native Mac, Windows, and Linux clients.
- Work with your product management counterpart to build the best experience for the end user.
- Break down problems into stories and tasks for you and your team to work on.
- Understand performance, scalability, and software development best practices, and implement them in the code you write.
- Work with designers to build a great user experience.
More about you
On the first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Experience building single page web applications.
- Experience using a variety of modern web technologies, including React, Electron, Immutable, Babel, NodeJS, and npm.
- Excellent communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
It's great, but not required, if you have:
- Experience evaluating and adopting new technologies.
- Experience using analytics data to make decisions on architecture or UI.
- Familiarity with chat / messaging systems would be a huge bonus.
More about our team
Rather than experience with particular tools, we really want smart and capable people who can suggest new tools as needed. But here's what we're using today:
- PHP, nginx
- Redis, ElasticSearch, MySQL
- Chef, Capistrano
- Monit, Graphite, Logstash, PagerDuty
- Atlassian tools (obviously): JIRA, Bamboo, BitBucket, Confluence
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Meet Some of Atlassian's Employees
Customer Advocate Manager
Rabya leads the Customer Advocate team in giving support to customers in all aspects of their Atlassian experience, answering non-technical inquiries through calls and email.
Back to top