Senior Engineering Manager, Trello Infrastructure
- New York, NY
Atlassian is continuing to hire with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new and existing Atlassians will continue to work from home until it’s safe to return to our offices. When our offices re-open, we will provide the choice to work from home or return to work in an office unless a job requirement makes it necessary for a particular role to be performed at an Atlassian office.
Our mission at Atlassian is to unleash the potential of every team. As the leader for Trello Infrastructure at Atlassian, you will join an engineering-led company and the award-winning leader in software development and collaboration tools.
Trusted by over 50 million users, Trello is the visual collaboration tool that crafts a shared perspective on any project. We serve 1 Billion API requests per day, and handle 1.5 million concurrent users at peak.
In this role you will be a senior engineering leader across Trello, responsible for the systems and processes that keep Trello secure and reliable. Through your hard-working teams you’ll drive technical and architectural strategy, and collaborate with broader Atlassian engineering teams.
You'll develop teams that span Trello’s entire infrastructure. You'll drive excellence in security, reliability, quality and engineering enablement across Trello. This role reports directly to Trello’s Head of Engineering.
- Managing the Infrastructure teams that power all of Trello’s systems: Back-end Platform, Front-end Platform, SRE, Data & Analytics, Billing, and QA. This is a manager-of-managers role of an organization of roughly 50 engineers.
- Driving excellence in security and reliability across all of Trello engineering, maintaining a culture of rapid turn-around of security fixes, and dedication to hitting 99.99%+ uptime.
- Guiding your teams in understanding the right metrics to track and improve.
- Working with engineers and managers to build a 1–2 year strategy for reliability for Trello, outlining infrastructure projects that support our reliability, security, performance, and scalability goals.
- Owning and making continual improvements to Trello’s on call, incident response and review processes.
- Mentoring, empowering and inspiring the managers who report to you. At Trello, our engineering leaders put our team members first, providing the right support for them to lead projects on autonomous, forward-thinking teams.
- Enabling our multi-functional product teams to ship features quickly and safely as our team grows in size, providing them with the tooling and processes needed for success.
- Leading with integrity and inspiration, by drawing from past experiences within large-scale complex systems, cloud companies, and/or product experience with complex enterprise software.
On your first day we'll expect you to have...
- 5+ years of engineering management experience managing high-performing engineering teams. Experience managing remote employees (Trello are 70% remote, 30% in NYC).
- Proven technical background and acumen stemming from deep understanding and experience across complex products and systems. Deep understanding of application security, web applications, and modern techniques for building software. Understanding of the latest build, test, deployment, and configuration tools. Real-world experience building high-performance, large-scale systems (and the scars to prove it).
- Experience setting an incredibly high bar for operational excellence across an engineering team, and putting systems in place to measure against that bar.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills: written and verbal, in person and remote. You have the ability to build a strong partnership at all levels of our team, and have proven leadership skills in listening, influencing and coordinating.
- Customer focus. A passion for understanding customers and their needs. Empathizing with our customers is crucial in order to build the right set of reliability practices at Trello.
- Experience leading teams executing on product development, or working very closely with product development teams, as you’ll be working closely with ours.
- Experience running incident response and post-incident review.
- An understanding of security and privacy standards (e.g. SOC2, GDPR).
- Have a U.S. Bachelor or higher degree, or its equivalent, in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems Management or a closely related field of study.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Learn more about Atlassian’s culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub.
Back to top