Principal Platform Developer
Atlassian helps teams everywhere change the world through the power of software and we are looking for a part visionary, part technical wizard to help lead HipChat's platform development teams. As a HipChat Principal Developer, you’ll be a technical leader for the team responsible for designing, implementing, monitoring, scaling and optimizing the code that powers HipChat Cloud's production services. You will be supported by robust backend systems, mature protocols, and an experienced team with a strong desire to build the best chat and collaboration platform out there. Think Nasa launching the Rover on Mars or Cochlear gifting children born deaf with the ability to hear, your work directly impacts the products they use to advance humanity. You'll need a strong technical prowess with incredible coding ability across a diverse set of languages and technologies. You will thrive on the ability to work under pressure.
What you do
- Breakdown large gnarly problems into simple, elegant solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- Influence the technical direction of multiple teams (both within and outside your immediate organization).
- Grow other developers. Act as a mentor and lead by example to help build an awesome team.
- You still code and your code sets an example for others to follow.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 10+ years of software development experience
- 10+ years of experience leading large scale projects
- Demonstrated experience coaching and developing junior developers
Experience building scalable, high performance systems that are highly available
- Experience building software with a focus on operational excellence
- Experience building software at web scale (e.g. consumer facing web or enterprise SaaS)
- Experience building large scale distributed systems leveraging AWS or other cloud services
- Experience evaluating and adopting new technologies
- Excellent communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences
- A strong understanding of how to use metrics to guide technical decisions
- 2+ years a Principal level developer
- Familiarity with chat / messaging systems would be a huge bonus (but not a requirement)
More about the perks
In 2015, Atlassian was awarded the #1 Best Place to Work in Australia for a second straight year—but the love doesn't stop there. We were also voted as the #1 Best Place to Work in Asia for two years running (small and medium size companies), #1 Best Place to Work in the Netherlands (large & multinational companies), and #2 in the US (medium size companies).
Our offices are open, highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some killer perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, plenty of food and drinks (including our famous 'Charlie's bar'), ergonomic workstations with Aeron chairs, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and more.
More about Atlassian
Software is changing the world, and we’re at the center of it all. With more than 50,000 global customers (including 85 of the Fortune 100) and a highly disruptive business model, we’re advancing the art of team collaboration with products like JIRA, Confluence and HipChat–and we’re just getting started. Driven by honest values, an amazing culture, and consistent revenue growth, we’re out to unleash the potential of every team. From Amsterdam and Austin to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who are powered by passion and eager to do the best work of their lives in a highly autonomous yet collaborative, no B.S. environment.
Atlassian. Powered by You.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Back to top