Principal Engineer, Identity
- Mountain View, CA
Atlassian is continuing to hire with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team, along with our current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Atlassian is a leading provider of collaboration, development, and issue tracking software for teams. With over 100,000 global customers (including 85 of the Fortune 100) and millions of users on our cloud platform, we’re advancing the power of collaboration with products including Jira, Jira Service Desk, Confluence, Bitbucket, Trello, and more. Motivated by clear values, an AMAZING culture, and consistent revenue growth, we’re on a journey to unleash the potential of every team. We’d like you to be a part of this journey.
The Atlassian Identity team is looking for a highly motivated and talented Principal Engineer with hands-on experiencing designing and implementing cloud-native applications. This role is ideal for engineers who are passionate about building highly scalable, multi-region solutions using modern technologies. As the principal engineer/architect, you will work with various engineering teams to lead the design and implementation for mission critical, event driven systems responsible for managing permissions and authorization decisions of all Atlassian products. You will drive the architecture of systems that underpin the success of our flagship products as they scale to meet the performance and reliability expectations of our users.
No previous experience in the Identity domain is required. Candidates would benefit from previous experience developing and architecting event-driven systems, familiarity with CQRS and micro-services patterns, building highly scalable systems in AWS, and designing data-intensive systems for multi-region deployments.
What you'll do:
- Architect and lead the implementation of the Identity platform services and own technical decisions in the permissions systems.
- Collaborate with lead developers, architectures, and product managers across various engineering teams to evolve and enhance the Identity services and various platform capabilities to help Atlassian products build features for our customers.
- Work with Engineering Managers, Program Managers, Architects, Lead Engineers, Product Owners in scoping, phasing, and sizing various projects and initiatives.
- Drive the evolution of Identity platform services and capabilities to meet the highest standards of reliability, performance and scale.
- Mentor engineers, promote engineering best practices, and identify knowledge gaps in our engineering community.
- Proactively engage with project members and cross-functional teams to ensure all open issues are identified and resolved.
- Document the data architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture.
- Produce diagrams, reference architecture, domain models, and other artifacts that describe complex end-to-end solutions.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 10 years experience in modern engineering practices focused public cloud, event driven systems, and/or distributed systems.
- Proven experience with very large scale data platforms and architectures, preferably in a principal architect or higher role for a large scale cloud native solution.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in one or more of the following: application architecture, solutions architecture, software systems architecture, or data architecture.
- Strong understanding of various data intensive architectural patterns, stream and batch processing, and varieties of data types
- Exposure to AWS and modern key-value databases (Cassandra, MongoDb, etc).
- Experience in technically leading large features, services or changes in a product.
- Have outstanding verbal and written communication skills. You will need to explain your proposals well enough that others understand their value, are motivated to implement them, and become champions of them for you.
- Experience with architecture and performance optimization of production systems.
- Strong skills mentoring and growing junior people.
- Ability to work well in a team, have a positive attitude, patience, and humility.
- Excellent prioritization and self organizing skills to individually detect and deliver the most important things first.
It’s awesome, but not required if you have experience working with:
- Experience with Cassandra and Golang
- Experience in event driven architecture and pub/sub
- Experience building RBAC systems
- Exposure to authentication and authorization technologies and protocols.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Back to top