Growth Engineering, Team Lead
Is leadership in your DNA? Make your mark as a Team Lead for our Growth Engineers who create features for our awesome software dev tools and next-generation products. You’ll ensure that commitments stay on track, remove any roadblocks, and facilitate timely decision-making. You’ll also help the team evaluate the size and shape of features and the impact of trade offs. This role meets with team members one-on-one to foster growth and help developers reach their goals. You’ll also collaborate with other teams across Atlassian to exchange expertise and ensure project coordination is handled smoothly.
Atlassian is looking for a Team Lead to join our Growth department in the Engagement Engine team. The ideal candidate has a significant amount of experience as a full stack developer, is a jack of all trades and has experience in leading a team and managing individuals' careers. We are a fast and adaptive team, seeking to move the needle on key business goals via experimentation and measurement. As a result, the project requirements change frequently as we learn and adapt to what is working and what is not. Certain things will always be a part of the job though:
- Managing a team of 5 Growth Engineers who run experiments and are creating a platform to run many more
- Evaluating new tools and platforms to understand if they are valuable and worth investing in
- Guiding the team to wire together a solution (using duct tape and bubble gum if need be) to prove that it works, adds measurable value, and is worth investing in further
- Managing day to day activities like standup, grooming meetings and planning meetings
- Being a cheerleader for the team around the organisation
- Growing the careers of each individual in the team, making sure they have exactly what they need
More about you
As a Team Lead for Growth Engineering, you enjoy working a job that can change at a moment's notice. Your job is agility in the extreme! You thrive in an environment where you are charting your own course and working on problems for which there is no clear solution; where creativity is as crucial as your ability to write code. You're someone who's has the ability to navigate the uncertainty of a highly agile environment and energise your team to embrace it, heck, even thrive on it!
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- A BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- At least five years of professional software development experience
- A willingness to look at results objectively based on hard data and accept frequent failures
- An open mind to try solutions that may seem crazy at first
- Experience integrating in-house systems with 3rd party tools and platforms
As a Team lead, you'll be expected to:
- Have at least two years managing a team of three or more people, which includes the management and growth of individual careers
- Have real-world experience growing and nurturing high performing, agile teams, as well as experience with Continuous Delivery – including the scars to prove it it all!
- Quickly develop a deep understanding of the way the platform is used, and prepare your team to help internal customers on-board and make the most of its features.
- Be a top-notch team worker. Work within the team's agreed processes (that you'll help define); be exemplary in communicating progress and risks, and help co-ordinate incremental deliverables within the team.
- Drive & document key technical decisions, including rent vs build decisions.
- Be included in an on-call rotation to support the platforms that we are building.
It's preferred, but not strictly required, that you have:
- Experience with A/B testing and running experiments
- Strong foundational understanding of statistics
- Good understanding of typical web application patterns, SOA, benefits and challenges of microservices, benefits and challenges of serverless architectures.
- Experience with AWS (Redshift, EMR, Lambda, SQS, SNS, Kinesis et. al), and serverless and microservice architectures
- Experience manipulating, analyzing, and moving around large data sets (on the order of 50 TB or larger)
- Experience engaging with and building trust amongst internal customers
- Experience with incident management processes.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programming languages, frameworks and paradigms. Polyglots welcome!
- Knowledge of open source libraries, tools and frameworks, e.g. for logging, wiring, testing, building. The more the merrier!
More about our team
Atlassian is over a decade old, but our team has just turned one (Happy Birthday to us!). We'll need to continue to blaze new trails in order to enable important growth decisions, so we're constantly growing, learning, and trying to do things differently. You’ll be joining a team that is crazy smart and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work. We're all about enabling growth by delivering platforms that are data driven and prove their value to the customer through hard numbers and rigorous statistics.
More about the perks
Our offices are open, highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some killer perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, plenty of food and drinks, ergonomic workstations with Aeron chairs, ShipIt days, and company paid vacation after five years and more.
More about Atlassian
Software is changing the world, and we’re at the center of it all. With more than 50,000 global customers (including 85 of the Fortune 100) and a highly disruptive business model, we’re advancing the art of team collaboration with products like JIRA, Confluence and HipChat–and we’re just getting started. Driven by honest values, an amazing culture, and consistent revenue growth, we’re out to unleash the potential of every team. From Amsterdam and Austin to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who are powered by passion and eager to do the best work of their lives in a highly autonomous yet collaborative, no bullshit environment.
Atlassian. Powered by you.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Atlassian, Inc., will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Back to top