Growth Engineering Manager
Are you a full stack developer who loves experimenting and wants to tackle interesting problems for Atlassian, all while leading and developing a rockin' team? If so, you've come to the right place. Atlassian is looking for a Team Lead to join our Growth Engineering department on the Engagement Engine team. We are a fast and adaptive team, seeking to move the needle on key business goals via experimentation and measurement. We're creating a platform to enable Atlassian to maximise it's engagement with our millions of users, across all of our products. As the Team Lead, we'll look to you to carry the charge in the following:
- Manage a team of 5 Growth Engineers who run experiments and are creating a platform to run many more
- Evaluate new tools and platforms to understand if they are valuable and worth investing in
- Guide the team to wire together a solution (using duct tape and bubble gum if need be) to prove that it works, adds measurable value, and is worth investing in further
- Manage day to day activities like standup, grooming meetings and planning meetings
- Be the team's biggest fan and cheerleader throughout the organization
- Work with each individual on the team to help them grow and develop their careers
More about you
You're innovative and creative, and love experimenting and working on problems - even when there's no clear solution. You're comfortable sailing unchartered waters, and have the ability to navigate the uncertainty of a highly agile environment. Even more, you're a highly effective leader, and excited to empower your team to thrive in their roles.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- A BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- At least five years of professional software development experience
- A willingness to look at results objectively based on hard data and accept frequent failures
- An open mind to try solutions that may seem crazy at first
- Experience integrating in-house systems with 3rd party tools and platforms
As a team lead, you'll be expected to:
- Have at least two years leading a team of three or more people, which includes the management and growth of individual careers
- Have proven experience growing and nurturing high performing, agile teams, as well as experience with Continuous Delivery – including the scars to prove it
- Quickly develop a deep understanding of the way the platform is used, and prepare your team to help internal customers on-board and make the most of its features.
- Define and work within the team's agreed processes, be exemplary in communicating progress and risks, and help coordinate incremental deliverables.
- Drive & document key technical decisions, including rent vs build decisions.
- Support a 24/7 SaaS platform, therefore participating in on-call rotation to support the platforms that we are building.
It's preferred, but not strictly required, that you have:
- Experience with A/B testing and running experiments
- Strong foundational understanding of statistics
- Good understanding of typical web application patterns, SOA, benefits and challenges of microservices, benefits and challenges of serverless architectures.
- Experience with AWS (Redshift, EMR, Lambda, SQS, SNS, Kinesis et. al), and serverless and microservice architectures
- Experience manipulating, analyzing, and moving around large data sets (on the order of 50 TB or larger)
- Experience engaging with and building trust among internal customers
- Experience with incident management processes.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programming languages, frameworks and paradigms. Polyglots welcome.
- Knowledge of open source libraries, tools and frameworks, e.g. for logging, wiring, testing, building. The more the merrier!
More about our team
Atlassian is over a decade old, but our team has just turned one. We'll need to continue to blaze new trails in order to enable important growth decisions, so we're constantly growing, learning, and trying to do things differently. You’ll be joining a team that is remarkably smart and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work. We're all about enabling growth by delivering platforms that are data driven and prove their value to the customer through hard numbers and rigorous statistics.
More about the perks
Our offices are open, highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some killer perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, plenty of food and drinks, ergonomic workstations with Aeron chairs, ShipIt days, and company paid vacation after five years and more.
More about Atlassian
Software is changing the world, and we’re at the center of it all. With more than 50,000 global customers (including 85 of the Fortune 100) and a highly disruptive business model, we’re advancing the art of team collaboration with products like JIRA, Confluence and HipChat–and we’re just getting started. Driven by honest values, an amazing culture, and consistent revenue growth, we’re out to unleash the potential of every team. From Amsterdam and Austin to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who are powered by passion and eager to do the best work of their lives in a highly autonomous yet collaborative, no bull$#*! environment.
Atlassian. Powered by you.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Atlassian, Inc., will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Back to top