Distributed Systems Engineer
In the past few years HipChat has become the chat tool loved by Whole Foods, Wired, NASA, WebMD, and thousands of other great companies. We've been shipping features like crazy but need people to help us take it to the next level.
Huge impact - Thousands of the brightest teams rely on HipChat to bring their companies together and get work done. You'll be designing, building, and shipping features that they'll love.
Independence - We're hiring great people and letting them do what they do best. No handholding or micromanaging. Plus, we actually use our 20% time and ShipIt days to build cool stuff.
Atlassian helps teams everywhere change the world through the power of software and we are looking for a part visionary, part technical wizard to enable HipChat's platform development teams. As a HipChat Distributed Systems Engineer, you’ll be a technical leader for all the teams enabling their services to communicate asynchronously. You will be supported by robust backend systems, mature protocols, and an experienced team with a strong desire to build the best chat and collaboration platform out there. Think NASA launching the Rover on Mars or Cochlear gifting children born deaf with the ability to hear, your work directly impacts the products they use to advance humanity. You'll need a strong technical prowess with incredible coaching abilities. You will thrive on the ability to work under pressure.
What you do
- Breakdown large gnarly problems into simple, elegant solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- Influence the the technical direction of multiple teams (both within and outside your immediate organization).
- Serve as knowledge expert in distributed queueing and stream processing systems.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 5 years software development experience
- 2 years experience with messaging protocol for distributed systems preferably Kafka
- 2 years experience with stream processing applications (i.g. Spark, Storm).
- Experience building scalable, high performance systems that are highly available
- Experience building software with a focus on operational excellence
- Experience building software at web scale (e.g. consumer facing web or enterprise SaaS)
- Experience building large scale distributed systems leveraging AWS or other cloud services
- Experience evaluating and adopting new technologies
- Excellent communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with NoSQL distributed databases (e.g. Cassandra).
- Familiarity with chat / messaging systems would be a huge bonus (but not a requirement)
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Back to top