Sr Director, Finance (External Reporting)
The Assistant Controller of External Reporting will fill a key role within the Finance organization. This individual will be responsible for a wide range of activities to include managing Asurion’s worldwide financial reporting and working with management to provide strategic advice and due diligence on new initiatives, projects, and business opportunities. The Assistant Controller will also be responsible for the day to day accounting for stock and stock-based compensation, debt and derivatives, telephony and technology costs, contractor accruals, and other SG&A activities. Additionally, the Assistant Controller and his or her team are responsible for serving in a liaison role for the regional CFOs and their teams regarding GAAP compliance and external reporting. In this role the Assistant Controller will be responsible for establishing a close working relationship with the regional reporting teams, and will report to the CAO and regional leadership on any accounting issues or upcoming initiatives impacting local or global reporting. The ideal candidate will have exceptional financial competence, strong business acumen, executive presence, and strong leadership capabilities.
- Lead Asurion’s financial reporting group (currently 7 to 10 FTEs), including the preparation of all worldwide external financial information provided to our investors, lenders, vendors and suppliers.
- Lead the preparation of our consolidated annual report as well over 30 separate audit reports required by our domestic and international subsidiaries.
- Manage Asurion’s relationship with its external auditor as it relates to financial reporting. This includes answering all inquiries in a timely manner and overseeing timely preparation of schedules requested by the auditors.
- Provide solid, definitive and timely guidance on accounting and financial reporting matters, thereby allowing operational decisions to be made timely and with confidence about the financial reporting impact.
- Assist the CAO and Treasurer, as necessary, in representing Asurion in meetings with potential investors and other counterparties related to due diligence reviews and financial reviews.
- Serve as a liaison and advisor to the Treasury and Legal team related to structuring of potential equity and debt transactions and legal positions / settlements, including advising on the accounting for such transactions.
- Work closely with the CAO, Treasurer, General Counsel, VP of Tax, FP&A personnel and others in finance and subsidiary companies to quickly address accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Provide multiple alternatives to operational decision makers related to how issues could be resolved or ideas implemented such that both the operational objective is met and the desired accounting conclusions are reached. In this role, the Sr Director should be a trusted advisor for operational, Legal, and Treasury personnel.
- Document completely and timely all accounting conclusions and maintain historical files of accounting conclusions reached.
- Oversee the accounting for stock and stock-based compensation, debt and derivatives, telephony and technology costs, contractor accruals, and other SG&A activities.
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the financial reporting function. Drive automation of all financial reporting processes.
- Identify best practices and create ideas for process improvements.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills with ability to deliver strategic messages to senior leadership level positions.
- Candidate will be expected to develop, attract and retain high quality team members.
- Successful candidate will have a collaborative, team oriented leadership style with track record of leading and mentoring teams.
- Ability to establish a high degree of accountability across their organization through both performance measurement and clear communications.
- A proven track record of academic and professional excellence.
- Current CPA certification.
- 10 years of professional experience. Public accounting experience required / Big 4 a plus, and combination of public accounting and private industry desired.
- Strong technical accounting and financial reporting skills.
- Hands-on leadership style with ability to drive projects to closure. A self-starter that is action and results oriented.
- Proficient in Excel and PowerPoint with the ability to develop executive presentations.
- Exceptional problem solving skills, attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, effective verbal and written communications, change agent for process improvement.
- A self directed individual with a strong ability to manage ambiguity and who adapts readily and easily to changes in priorities and business conditions.
- An individual who is self-confident, competent, outgoing and independent with a straight forward, but not arrogant personality.
- An individual that takes complete ownership of any project to ensure the successful completion of the project, but also collaborates with and brings other “owners” into the project.
- Comfortable working with very sensitive and confidential data with the ability to maintain a high degree of discretion.
- Fits well within an organization that rewards bright, self-starting, energetic, and action-oriented managers with increasing responsibility and challenges.
- Professional and personal integrity beyond reproach.
- Ability to work flexible hours and do whatever it takes to meet the deadlines promised.
- Ability to hold people accountable without hurting relationships.
- Appreciation for entrepreneurial attitudes and ability to communicate accounting answers in an entrepreneurial environment that does not appreciate boundaries.
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to develop trust between the accounting group and the operational and other finance areas of the Company.
Meet Some of Asurion's Employees
Senior Director, Innovation
Vincent analyzes each step of a customer’s journey to tweak processes and technology solutions. He considers the entire customer relationship, as well as how employees factor in.
Back to top