Software Engineer Intern, Big Data
Asurion's Enterprise Data Services (EDS) team isbuilding an enterprise data platform (named ATLAS) leveraging the latest andgreatest data technologies available. Built exclusively in the AWS cloud,the ATLAS platform utilizes technologies such as Informatica, Redshift, S3,Denodo, Spotfire, Presto and HIVE among many others. As THE enterprisedata platform for Asurion, ATLAS will serve a variety of data needs, spanningcore functionality like data cleansing, data standardization and KPI generationto reach functionality such as data discovery, data visualization and customerrecommendation engines. On a day to day basis, team members arechallenged to think creatively and leverage their data experience to solvetough data and analytics problems in ways that will scale to meet to the broadscope of the Asurion environment.
The Software Engineer Internwill gain exposure to and work toward functional competency in the field ofsoftware engineering as it relates to the business objectives of Asurion. The position will work on proofs of concepts(PoCs) for cloud services supporting device protection and claims platforms.The position will also develop high transactional cloud services using Lambdacompute functions and PaaS capabilities.
Throughout the 10-week, 40hr/week internship, theintern will work with industry professionals and will receive training/guidancefrom these professionals on a weekly basis. If the intern performs well throughout the internship, there will beopportunities for fulltime employment once the intern graduates.
- Goodwritten and verbal communication skills and ability to provide deliverables intime sensitive projects.
- Proficient in one ormore programming language i.e. Python/Java/C#/C
- Knowledge/experiencein some of the following preferred:
o SoftwareDevelopment & Analysis
o Java,Scala, Hive, Spark, HBase, Storm, Redshift, R, Kinesis, S3, and EMR.
o OOD/ OOP knowledge
o MultithreadedWeb Application experience
o Knowledgeand experience with big data and machine learning
- Knowledge/experiencein one or more of the following areas: RESTful web services, NoSQL technologies(Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB), real-time streaming (apache storm, apache spark),Big data batch processing (Hive, SparkSQL), Cloud Technologies (Kinesis, S3,EMR)
- Shows a strong attention to development detail, produceshigh-quality code.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills with excellentverbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong internal customer service skills, ability to usetact and diplomacy, and to work effectively within a team (positive, processoriented).
- Computer Science (or related major), Mathematics
- Developseffective, maintainable code in a timely fashion.
- Followsestablished coding standards and techniques, assists with establishing standards.
- Developsproficiency in the application and use of systems, tools, and processes withinthe department's scope.
- Developsproficiency in the business processes that drive the applications within thedepartment's scope.
- Developsa working knowledge of Asurion's applications and system integration.
- Assistswith the compilation of status notifications for business stakeholders andClient Relations.
- Ensurescode compiles with security policies and guidelines.
Meet Some of Asurion's Employees
Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Bryant manages the Software Development Group at Asurion that focuses on back-office technology. By doing so, he helps deliver new products and business capabilities.
Back to top